PDA

View Full Version : Syrphid Fly - studio portrait

Steve Maxson
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I photographed this grooming Syrphid Fly (aka Flower Fly, Hover Fly) (family Syrphidae) in my lightbox setup. Many of these flies, like this one, are bee mimics. 7D, 100 mm macro, 1/250, f/16, ISO 100, tripod, 2 remotely fired flashes inside lightbox. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Julie Kenward
02-04-2012, 08:45 AM
Well that's just ridiculously good, Steve. The only (and I do mean ONLY) thing I can find to say about any negative aspect to this one is the end of the rear foot at the front of the frame...it could use a bit more DOF or a little cleaning up of the edges to make it appear more sharp. Seriously, though...wow!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
02-04-2012, 07:42 PM
I need to do a light box set up. This is very cool with great detail.

bhavya joshi
02-08-2012, 03:16 AM
Cool Bug and nice action captured..with clear eyes. Wish Front foot, sharp. overall ... Great.. image

Roman Kurywczak
02-14-2012, 05:25 PM
Hey Steve,
I've been trying to explore these all winter......schedule is making it nuts.....but this one may force me to do it! Great work as usual! I would consider "eliminating" the front foot by the face.

Ken Childs
02-20-2012, 09:38 AM
There's no surprise here but you've got another winner! I can see where Jules is coming from but I don't mind the edges looking slightly soft.....it feels right with the white BG.

It looks like I need to design a new enclosed lightbox so I can give a shot at capturing bugs like this one. :S3: