PDA

View Full Version : Castles in the Sand

Dave Woeller
02-02-2012, 09:24 AM
This is a companion image to the 59th st Morning shot posted below. This was captured on the same morning (about 15 minutes prior to the pier shot) and about 20 feet from that location and facing north. The background is Atlantic City. I did enhance the brightness of the foreground beach a bit to bring out some detail using Nik Software.
Canon 7D, 24-105mm @ 105mm, ISO 100, 30 sec @ f22, manual mode on tripod, Topaz noise reduction

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2012, 10:52 AM
That is pretty cool Dave. I like the idea of balancing the sand castle in the FG with the skyline in the BG. I feel that balancing could have been enhanced with a move left to place the sand castle move in a diagonal with the tall building currently just above the sand castle.

Nice looking colors too. I think you handled the FG lightening to just the right level.

Dave Woeller
02-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Thank you Robert, and I agree. This is a good lesson for me to slow down a bit and take a closer look. :e3

Morkel Erasmus
02-05-2012, 12:49 PM
Nice feel here Dave. Soft pastel tones once again work a treat, and the layering works well...I would consider a pano crop from the top just to just above the streak of cloud?

Dave Woeller
02-06-2012, 07:47 AM
Thank you Morkel, you've given me even more possibilities to explore.

Brendan Dozier
02-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Cool looking and nicely thought out composition, Dave. Great color, and like the softness on the water you achieved. I understand what Robert is saying from a visual standpoint, but got a chuckle how you symbolically placed the sandcastle parallel to the Atlantic City skyline. Also like Morkel's suggestion as another option.