PDA

View Full Version : Red-necked Avocets (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) Stockton Sandspit NSW

Rod Warnock
02-01-2012, 11:46 PM
Red-necked Avocets (Recurvirostra novaehollandiae) Stockton Sandspit NSW Australia
Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM ISO400 F11 1/1600 available light 9 November 2011 8.22am
Midway through an early morning session at Stockton I managed to stalk a flock of Red-necked Avocets a species that always attracts me mainly I think because of the graceful postures and the rusty colour with white and black. The only small negative are is that white area around the eye never seems to gel with me..always seems that the avocets must have picked up the last eye in the evolutionary supermarket !! The beak in males bill is more turned up than that of the female. This species is endemic to Australia.
For a brief but adequate fact sheet again go to Birds in Backyards : http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Recurvirostra-novaehollandiae
Thanks for viewing
Rod Warnock

Jack Breakfast
02-02-2012, 12:11 AM
So lovely! A natural shot like this is a breath of sweet, fresh air! Kudos...

Steve Canuel
02-02-2012, 12:23 AM
Great line up leading to the one stretching its wings. Almost like they're judges waiting to check out the other one's take off technique.

wendell westfall
02-02-2012, 09:33 PM
Nice image, Ron. Our avocets are beautiful but not as colorful as yours look . . .