PDA

View Full Version : This gull has a FROG in his beak

Jack Breakfast
02-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Or her beak? Why would I know? Who could sex a gull? Anyhow, I was delighted to see this fine bird coming towards me the other day. At first I didn't know what was dangling from his beak, but never having seen such a combination, I figured I'd share it with you esteemed folks here on the forum. Taken with the Canon 7D and the 200mm f2.8 lens, 1.4 teleconverter. Settings: iso250, 1/1250, f7.1...yes yes, I would have and should have opted for a faster shutter speed, etc etc. but what's done is done. Many thanks for having a look. Obviously I welcome any comments and frog-related advice, etc.

Steve Canuel
02-02-2012, 12:20 AM
Congrats Jack,
You managed to capture a real Disney moment. Its not often that one gets to see a gull taking his frog buddy for a ride to see what it's like to fly! Nice diagonal line of the bird across the frame and I like the soft detail on the underside of the wings.

Jack Breakfast
02-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Ha! Good one, Steve! I've read your comment, just now, aloud to my wife. She made a face and asked me: "Doesn't he know that the frog is certainly dead and will soon be eaten?" "NO!" I yelled at her, "and don't tell Steve either. He thinks they're good friends flying through a Disney cartoon. Pipe down, killjoy!"

arash_hazeghi
02-02-2012, 12:28 AM
Excellent! The prey makes this a unique photo great details and good exposure plus you have eye contact from the gull too. The gull must have a feast with a whole frog! I would add a bit more space diagonally.

Jack Breakfast
02-02-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks Arash, I agree wholeheartedly RE more diagonal space...

Brendan Dozier
02-02-2012, 12:59 AM
Awesome capture, Jack!

Ha! Good one, Steve! I've read your comment, just now, aloud to my wife. She made a face and asked me: "Doesn't he know that the frog is certainly dead and will soon be eaten?" "NO!" I yelled at her, "and don't tell Steve either. He thinks they're good friends flying through a Disney cartoon. Pipe down, killjoy!"

Hilarious! You guys gave me a good belly laugh!:bg3:

Jack Breakfast
02-02-2012, 01:22 AM
If we keep our senses of humor, we'll stay young while the rest of the world gets old...

christopher galeski
02-02-2012, 02:06 AM
good capture Jack,I am not a gull fan,but like this,well done.

Sidharth Kodikal
02-02-2012, 02:39 AM
Excellent image. Nice exposure, sharp details, and a unique prey. Nicely done.

gail bisson
02-02-2012, 04:11 AM
Very cool shot with the frog in beak. I would add a bit of canvas on the bottom and LHS,
Gail

supreet.sahoo
02-02-2012, 07:12 AM
This is a complete package that you've got here:
a. A good moment clicked wonderfully
b. A gripping fairytale story
c. Interesting discussion points

Enjoyed it thoroughly and thanks for sharing.

Supreet

Paul GREENGRASS
02-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Well captured Jack 2 for the price of one.
The frog at full stretch I am not sure if its hanging on for dear life or not.
But its getting its air miles up.
Well spotted and captured
Paul

Jack Breakfast
02-02-2012, 01:42 PM
Glad you enjoyed folks...my big face was smiling uncontrollably when I saw them coming towards me...agree with Gail also about the canvas...actually the full-frame image is probably better but I was eager to display the gull/frog as much as possible. Anyhow, thanks again for the praise and suggestions...