PDA

View Full Version : The broad side of a swan

Morris Altman
02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
http://qcpages.qc.cuny.edu/~maltman/122311DSC_2096.jpg

D200 + 80-400 VR @ 400mm, ISO 400, 1/1600, f8, fill flash (SB800 + Better Beamer)

Comments and suggestions welcome,

Morris

denise ippolito
02-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Morris, Nice looking abstract, I wonder if a slight crop from the top to eliminate the dark URC would work.

Arthur Morris
02-02-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi Morris, Repost with Denise's crop, Detail Extractor(NIK Color Efex Pro 4) at 100% of default settings, and a 15% Linear Burn on the brightest WHITEs. Good job with the EXP.

Andrew McLachlan
02-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Hi Morris, nice base image. I like what Arthur has done with Denise's crop suggestion and the Detail Extractor filter.

Morris Altman
02-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Thank you Denise, Artie, and Andrew. I’ve looked at this image dozens of times and never noticed the dark corner. It’s funny how we can miss things like that. I downloaded the changed image you made Artie and also reduced mine to the same size and then the contrast change was very apparent and effective. I’d used the curves tool in Photoshop to add some contrast and went as far as I could before some color changes became apparent. Clearly NIK Color Efex Pro 4 was able to go further and made my image pop. Now I’m wondering if I could have approached adding contrast another way in Photoshop of if it’s worth getting some of the NIK plug-ins. I’ll have to experiment.

Morris

Arthur Morris
02-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Thank you Denise, Artie, and Andrew. I’ve looked at this image dozens of times and never noticed the dark corner. It’s funny how we can miss things like that. I downloaded the changed image you made Artie and also reduced mine to the same size and then the contrast change was very apparent and effective. I’d used the curves tool in Photoshop to add some contrast and went as far as I could before some color changes became apparent. Clearly NIK Color Efex Pro 4 was able to go further and made my image pop. Now I’m wondering if I could have approached adding contrast another way in Photoshop of if it’s worth getting some of the NIK plug-ins. I’ll have to experiment. Morris

YAW. I miss obvious stuff here all the time. I actually did not add contrast. In Photoshop, a start would be doing a Linear Burn on the brightest WHITEs. There are detailed instructions on how to do that in our Digital Basics File (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252) which contains my complete digital workflow and dozens and dozens of additional Photoshop tips.