PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Leaf Parasols

Mary Stamper
04-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I used to think nothing beat the sugar maple for fall color and interesting decay patterns. But then I discovered the Lotus.
Here is the first of a series that I took last year while discovering the wonders of this plant with it's huge (12 inches plus) leaves.

D2x
Nikkor 200mm macro lens
iso 200
F10
1/180

Robert O'Toole
04-10-2008, 12:44 PM
Like the idea and the design of the image. The patterns are interesting. Amazing how many great patterns there are out there in nature if you look around.

A little more room around the shapes would be good but not sure if it was possible.

Robert

Fabs Forns
04-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Very interested perspective provided by the slanted angle. Great colors and shapes.

Ed Vatza
04-11-2008, 04:07 AM
Hi Mary,

Almost an abstract image. I too like the perspective that the angle provides. I don't know what the gray object/area almost dead center is but my eye keeps getting drawn to it. Given the size of those leaves, you must have had to back off quite a bit! :)

Mike Moats
04-11-2008, 05:43 AM
Hey Mary, I like it alot, interesting patterns and tones, and I really like the angle of the shot. I like the tight crop.

Mary Stamper
04-11-2008, 06:45 AM
Hi Mary,

Almost an abstract image. I too like the perspective that the angle provides. I don't know what the gray object/area almost dead center is but my eye keeps getting drawn to it. Given the size of those leaves, you must have had to back off quite a bit! :)
Nature took care of backing off for me....these things were quite a few feet out into the water. I often wish the good stuff was closer in so I could use shorter lenses and get the camera closer to parallel. It worked out well here though. The round thing in the center is actually a petal. These are American Lotuses, which have pale yellow flowers. The leaves often act like platters when laying on the water and catch all sorts of stuff which in itself can make some great photos.

Mary Stamper
04-11-2008, 06:49 AM
Hey Mary, I like it alot, interesting patterns and tones, and I really like the angle of the shot. I like the tight crop.
Thanks Mike. I often find that cropping tightly, even to the extend of cutting off some of the subject allows a more interesting view than the standard "portrait" style that is so often used (maybe overused?) in nature photographs.