PDA

View Full Version : White Rhino Portrait

Rachel Hollander
01-31-2012, 09:43 AM
Another image taken on my 2009 trip to South Africa. We spent a good part of a morning with this white rhino so I was able to take lots of images and play with comps in camera.

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 330mm
1/250
f5.6
ISO 200
HH from safari vehicle, levels, curves, slight s/h adjustments and sharpened in CS5.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-31-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi Rachel, you are certainly pulling them out the bag. :bg3: Love the colour and that small branch/twig is a cracking addition IMHO, like the slight twist/HA too.

Just some thoughts:
- Would flip the image
- Add some brightness/Contrast to the Rhino only, just seems to pick out things
- Apply some more sharpening, trust me it comes up a treat. The detail is really nice.
- Watch the slight halo appearing along the base of the horn to the nostril R to L and in some parts the masking
- If you want to, remove the black marks in the BKG under the chin area
- Any more area below?

This has all the makings of a nice Duo tone too, as it adds a little bit of colour, but not as stark as a B/W

TFS
Steve

gail bisson
01-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi Rachel,
I like the tight composition and good details. I see a magenta cast and a sharpening halo around the bottom of horn and face.I like the little twig caught in his horn. I think this would be awesome as a black and white,
gail
Oops, Steve and I posted at the same time. Sorry for the repetition.

Rachel Hollander
01-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks Steve and Gail. This is full frame. Slight halo noted. I'll play with the duotone and b&w. Gail - is the magenta by the base of the horn? The horn actually had a little bit of a reddish tint to it. Thanks again,

Rachel

Pieter de Waal
01-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Hi Rachel, excellent Rhino profile, nice low angle, good detail and texture and as mentioned the suspended twig is a nice touch. I might consider a little more room at the bottom.

Robert Amoruso
01-31-2012, 03:08 PM
I like the details - carried throughout due to good DOF and the humorous branch.

I feel I would have preferred to see the ears however.

Morkel Erasmus
01-31-2012, 04:06 PM
Your compositional approach here really focuses on the details and that super twig stuck on the horn, a great addition as Steve said :t3.
I would be interested in a repost incorporating Steve's additions. It is quite sharp for me and don't mind the orientation, but curious to see the result anyway...

Rachel Hollander
01-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks everyone. I'll play with it tonight and post the results.

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
01-31-2012, 09:10 PM
Here's a repost following Steve's suggestions except I did not have any more room below. I did flip it though that is not a manipulation I am comfortable with, nor one I really see the point of. I'll post the b&w in the next frame.

Thanks again,

Rachel

Rachel Hollander
01-31-2012, 09:13 PM
Here's the b&w suggested by Steve and Gail.

Thanks,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
01-31-2012, 09:37 PM
Rachel,

I'll stick to the OP as neither of the reposts seem to add much. Like you I realy do not see the point in the flip.

I am with Robert on a preference for including the ears, i.e a whole head shot.

The halo which seems to run along the entire bottom of the head does not bother me as it is very slight, and probably caused by using S/H.

In my opinion there is a slight magenta cast, and the image needs an overall boost, plus a tad more sharpening for presentation here.

Here is my repost with the sharpening slightly overemphasised

Rachel Hollander
01-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks Ken, appreciate the repost.

v.p.nurdeen
01-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Hi Rachel,
Beautiful close up with great details.
VPN

Hilary Hann
02-01-2012, 03:49 AM
Rachel, lots of good comments made already. Nice detail and very complimentary background. Love the quirky stick. I am feeling the loss of the ears, but like what you've done despite that.

Marc Mol
02-01-2012, 04:38 AM
A fine portrait here Rachel, with Ken's RP really nailing it with the added texture & detail from sharpening. Would just back it off very slightly for mine.
TFS

Pieter de Waal
02-01-2012, 06:40 AM
Hi Rachel, thanks for the reposts however I still prefer your OP.

Dumay de Boulle
02-01-2012, 07:28 AM
I think the sharpening in the OP as well as the texture shown looks perfect, I do like the colors in Kens post and think what he has done re texture and contrast would work well as a B&W. The flip has worked nicely and I would like to see a bit more space at the bottom! Acacia branch on the horn adds nicely! Very nice and TFS Rachel!

Rachel Hollander
02-01-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Rachel