PDA

View Full Version : Bittern

Don Davis
01-31-2012, 09:05 AM
http://targy.zenfolio.com/img/s9/v14/p749206931-4.jpg

Don Davis
01-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Still not got the hang of this site yet but here`s the info anyway.

shot taken one early morning as the sun was rising on the nature reserve,i was sat in a hide provided by reserve as i watched this Bittern venture from the reeds i managed this half light take using my Canon mk3 with a 2.0ex giving me 600mm.
s/s 1/250
f5.6.
iso 640.
exposure + 1.3. ev.

Gus Hallgren
01-31-2012, 02:10 PM
Hi Don;

Nice to see another friendly face from BF. Welcome to BPN, it's my main home, I love it here.

Lovely capture, great pose. Be interesting to see what folks say. Monitors are kind, friendly
and very knowledgable, along with other posters that always come up with comments that
are on the mark.

Looking forward to more posts from you. BF, 3 per 24, here's it's one with redos acting on
suggestions allowed.

Cheers

Gus

BTW: Would be nice to list where you are from in the UK.

Jeff Cashdollar
01-31-2012, 10:57 PM
Don,

As Gus said welcome. The first thing I notice is the light is beautiful strong use of shadows showing tonal range and depth. The opportunity is what we call virtual feet. Moreover, leaving room in the frame for feet and not cut the subject. The habitat compliments the subject you were in the right place at the right time. Keep posting and things will get much easier. We are happy you are here - keep em coming.

Was this HH and nice job with higher ISO to get the shutter speed up. Do you carry a flash and a BB.

Kerry Perkins
02-01-2012, 09:12 PM
Hello Don and a big welcome to BPN and Eager to Learn. We are all here to learn from each other so please add your thoughts to the images that are posted.

I really like the soft light and rich colors you captured on the bird and the grass. These birds are pretty hard to get close to and the hide really did the job. I like the environment and the classic bittern pose, always looking at the sky... Good point made by Jeff regarding the "virtual feet". Even when we can't see them it is good to leave room as if they were visible. Look forward to more from you!

Don Davis
02-02-2012, 02:30 AM
Hi Jeff & Kerry in answer to Jeff Question H.H. all my shots are H.H. as im always looking for movement on the subject but im not saying this is how it should be its only my taste,no i dont even own flash but this again is down to my own taste,you will find on some of my post`s they probably would have been better suited to other method`s but im sure if i keep trying one day i will achive what im after its never going to easy but with joining this Forum im sure im on the right track,many thanks for all your comments and welcome`s very much Appreciated Don.