PDA

View Full Version : Richtersveld Mountains

Pieter Lotter
01-31-2012, 06:07 AM
This was taken about 6 years ago in the Richtersveld during one of the best Spring flower seasons. I only converted to a digital camera a couple of years later.

Canon EOS3000
Lens: Sigma 70 - 300mm
Fuji 200 ASA 35mm film
Film was put onto a CD in .jpeg

This image was cropped, resized, levels adjusted and slightly sharpened in Photoshop.

As this is my first attempt at this, I would appreciate all comments and crits.

Pieter

Robert Amoruso
01-31-2012, 07:17 AM
I think the composition works well. The road acts as a strong leading line and the different colors and textures transgressing into the BG act to add depth. All work well together to add depth to the image.

The JPG conversion/scan has left a lot of artifacting and resulted in a lack of detail in the scene - resulting in a low image quality. For the film images that are near and dear to you, I recommend the best, highest resolution digital scan you can obtain. A lot of work and/or cost to be sure.

Just one of the reasons my vast array of landscape images lie on film and have never been scanned.

Pieter Lotter
01-31-2012, 02:27 PM
Thank you Robert. This is exactly the kind of comments/information that I was looking for.
Will keep all those old pics to show to the grandchildren......

Morkel Erasmus
02-01-2012, 08:13 AM
It looks like a nice scene, Pieter, but my enjoyment is marred by the artifacts and poor quality (at least as posted here). Not sure who you used to scan and if you can "redo" at all - but I agree with Robert it's worth it to pay the "big bucks" to get the better results, if not keep an old slide-projecter at hand :S3:

Pieter Lotter
02-01-2012, 10:04 AM
Thanks Morkel - I'm learning every day!