PDA

View Full Version : Grape Hyacinth/Bluebell Redux

Ed Vatza
04-09-2008, 07:22 PM
My new lens (Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro) arrived yesterday so I hustled out to give it a try. So it was back on my belly laying among the Bluebells aka Grape Hyacinths. Interestingly while laying there, a couple walked by and asked what I was doing. During the course of the brief conversation, the wife referred to these flowers as Bluebells. Must be a local thing.

Now normally this should beg for a portrait type of composition. But I have to say that I just really liked this landscape comp. I think the background just looks so nice. But that's me. What do you think?

1/50 sec at f/4; ISO 100 (should have gone to at least 400); 0 EV

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0804__161.jpg

Fabs Forns
04-09-2008, 09:05 PM
Ed, congrats on our new toy, you'll enjoy it, it's a heck of a lens :)

A vertical would have been a classic, but I can live with the landscape orientation as a different way of doing things. OK with me. Maybe a little more room up and down, no biggie. The blues can be de-saturated a little in Hue/Sat to shoe more detail.
Nice image :)

Robert O'Toole
04-09-2008, 11:45 PM
I like it as is Ed, the comp works. Nice BG and colors are great.

Robert

Ed Vatza
04-11-2008, 04:15 AM
Thank you Fabs. Thank you Robert. As always, I appreciate the critiques. They are very helpful. As I said, this was among my first images with the new lens. After using the 70mm a bit, I had to get used to the longer working distance. :) And green (along with orange) is one of my favorite colors so I liked the added green that the landscape comp offered!

Mike Moats
04-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Hey Ed, you did a fine job on the shot and the vertical would have been more traditional, but its good to see your trying a different approach which works fine.