PDA

View Full Version : Everything Is Relative

Norm Dulak
01-30-2012, 06:29 PM
Canon PowerShot S90
ISO 400; f/8.0, 1/1600 sec; EM -0.33

This image was captured with the little Canon camera from a moving Polarcirkel boat near Paradise Bay, Antarctica. Here you will see the Norwegian polar expedition ship MS FRAM rounding an ice formation. Although the FRAM is a strong, modern ship that has safely carried groups of about 240 passengers through many stormy Antarctic seas, she looks so small in comparison to the ice formation.

In Antarctica, everything is on a grand scale.

Norm

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2012, 10:13 PM
Norm,

I like the composition but think I would prefer not seeing only a partial of the other boat. I tried a crop from left to give this a left to right framing of the berg and liked the results.

I suggest either Local Contrast Enhancement using USM or similar or Color Efex Pro, Tonal Contrast adjustment.

Hilary Hann
01-31-2012, 05:55 AM
The boat being dwarfed is almost incomprehensible so your intent to show the size of the icebergs is commendable. I would loved to have seen the boat clear of the smaller iceberg and had it highlighted against the main iceberg. Would be interested to see what difference you got after trying Robert's contrast suggestions.

Norm Dulak
01-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Norm,

I like the composition but think I would prefer not seeing only a partial of the other boat. I tried a crop from left to give this a left to right framing of the berg and liked the results.

I suggest either Local Contrast Enhancement using USM or similar or Color Efex Pro, Tonal Contrast adjustment.

Thanks Robert.

But as I tried to indicate, my purpose in making this post was to emphasize the enormity of differences between the sturdy and secure MS FRAM, and the incredible ice formations of Antarctica. While the ice is indeed interesting, eliminating the ship by cropping would defeat the purpose of my post.

Norm

Robert Amoruso
01-31-2012, 07:50 PM
Norm,

I do understand your reasoning. I feel that it would have been better served if the boat where in front of the berg or at least in full view. No problem with that; whatever floats your boat.:w3

Sure wish I could have been there with you.

Matt Fragale
01-31-2012, 08:44 PM
The iceberg itself and surrounding very blue water is really a cool effect. The boat would convey the enormity of the situation a little better if it were not behind that outcropping from the left side. But it does the job, nonetheless. Without the boat at all, that'd just look like some ice in water. I love how that bit in the middle of the iceberg looks like it could fall off at any moment, too. It definitely got a very heavy feeling to it. Nicely done. Is there any hope of rescuing any of the sky detail?

Norm Dulak
02-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Thanks everyone. Following Robert's suggestion I've applied a little USM in this repost to increase the contrast a bit. But I'm afraid there wasn't much detail in the sky to bring out.

What I've tried to emphasize is how special Antarctica is. Everyone who can should try to go there.

Norm