PDA

View Full Version : Ruby Hummer with Red Gorget

Grady Weed
04-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 5/17/2007 17:24:05, Tv(Shutter Speed) 1/250Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F5.6, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1, ISO 400, Lens EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x, Focal Length 600.0 mm, on tripod. Shot from 9 feet away. Cropped for a 6x8 print. This is about 50% of the frame.

I took this with my Canon 5D, because it was all I had. I had just sold my Canon 20D to Sid Garige, although I did not know him at the time or that he knew James Shadle. Using my 5D forced me to focus clearly and be patient. The bg is a house. The older gentleman has a dozen hummers for most of the spring summer and fall. He also attracts 3 or 4 dozen baltimore orioles and literaly hundreds of other birds in his huge yard. It is like a private aviary. And it is only 10 minutes from our home!

I have posted this one on Photomigrations when it first was taken but not on this site. I took about 2 or 300 frames before I got 6 I liked. I have 3 in mid-air that i think are very nice. Please feel free to comment.

Lana Hays
04-10-2008, 04:25 AM
Grady
I liked the images of birds that I got with my 5D......but oh did it suffer from shutterlag. I appreciate the patience that you took to get this one. I like the colors and the detail....especially of the gorget. I think I'd like a slight head turn as the bill seems to fade into the front of the face and get lost. Hope you post some of the others.......you had a nice setup to photograph them.

Alfred Forns
04-10-2008, 12:40 PM
Hi Grady Agree with Lana and would add a suggestion Not sure is the straight on look is the best for these little guys? I think catching them with the head looking to the side might be better.

I like the beautiful chest feathers both color and sharpness but don't get the same feel from the head area? Maybe is just a matter of dof At this distance is minimal !!!

Grady Weed
04-10-2008, 03:56 PM
When they come back soon, now that I have the MK2n with the 300 & 2x, it Will be a different game. So I will try to get better images. Thanks for the input.