PDA

View Full Version : Adelie Penguin Hillside Rookery

Arthur Morris
01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
As we usually anchored near the spot we would be landing by zodiac on my Southern Oceans trip I made lots of images from the ship both before and after our scheduled landings. This one was made from the ship at Paulet Island, Antarctica with the tripod-mounted Canon 70-200mm f/4L IS, the 1.4X III TC, and the EOS-5D MII. Mongoose M3.6 and bubble level. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +1/3 stop: 1/250 sec. at f/13 in Manual mode. For lots more on the trip see the blog (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/) and BAA Bulletin #395 (http://www.birdsasart.com/2012/01/29/birds-as-art-bulletin-395/). You can find my belated review of the 5D MII here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/01/29/eos-5d-mark-ii-quick-evaluation/). Don't be shy; all honest comments are welcome.

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2012, 10:07 PM
I like the proportions of this image Artie. I feel not including more of the descending slope on the left was the right choice as it protects the monolithic look of the mountain (if that is the correct description). The more gentle slope from the right to left interuppted by the more steep drop off adds visual tension.

Circular pattern on left balances well with the oval snow packs. Soft clouds add interest to the sky w/o being over dramatic.

Arthur Morris
01-31-2012, 06:33 AM
Thanks Robert. I agree that framing is the #1 concern with images like this.

Andrew McLachlan
02-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Hi Arthur, agree, very nicely framed...another beauty from the Southern Oceans.

Dave Woeller
02-02-2012, 09:06 AM
A very impressive image as always Artie. I agree with those above about the framing on this. I feel you've included the perfect amount of open water in the frame, and the story is well conveyed.

Arthur Morris
02-02-2012, 09:35 AM
A very impressive image as always Artie. I agree with those above about the framing on this. I feel you've included the perfect amount of open water in the frame, and the story is well conveyed.

Many thanks Dave. I too like the image design and am glad that you do.

Andrew Aveley
03-01-2012, 04:25 PM
Hey Arthur , bit late here but a question. Would a vertical stitch of a few images with more tho the LHS not have help with this composition. I am not sure what is to the LHS but just a thought :)

Arthur Morris
03-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Hey Arthur , bit late here but a question. Would a vertical stitch of a few images with more tho the LHS not have help with this composition. I am not sure what is to the LHS but just a thought :)

Hi Andrew, I wanted the image to be about the colony. There were no birds to our left and none to the immediate right thus the framing :). That if I understood your question clearly.

Jay Gould
03-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Agree with all positive comments.

Was it shot as displayed or cropped from the LHS? If you have an image showing the full LHS it would be interesting to see the difference.

Arthur Morris
03-02-2012, 03:27 PM
Agree with all positive comments.

Was it shot as displayed or cropped from the LHS? If you have an image showing the full LHS it would be interesting to see the difference.

With this image the wider you go the less emphasis on the colony....