PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-headed Blackbird

Bruce Gove
04-09-2008, 06:42 PM
EOS 1D MIII EF 500 f/4 IS 2X TC
EV0 1/250 @ f/10 ISO 400

I made this image last saturday - same time as the RR blackbird I posted the other day. These guys were not present in nearly the same numbers as the RR, so naturally that's the one I decided to work on - there are also tri-colored bb's at the same lake! This image was made out of desparation - i'd waited more than an hour for this guy to get a little closer. The sun angle was never going to be ideal, so when he landed about 40 feet from me, I banged away. wasn't paying attention and used f/10 instead of f/8 so got more bg in focus than i wanted, plus i know there's too much junk around him, but i like the dang image anyway....

Bruce

Gus Cobos
04-09-2008, 06:56 PM
Hi Bruce,
Love your composition and the bird in his habitat. Colors are nice and rich.. Do you think that you can clone out the two thick branches killing his tail, then reconstruct with the cloning stamp? :D

Bruce Gove
04-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Gus - yeah I thought about working on the cluttered bg, but it would take an awful lot of effort to do that, so I thouhgt I'd just post it and take my lumps! Thanks for the critique Gus..

Bruce

Alfred Forns
04-09-2008, 07:14 PM
No lumps at all Bruce Good image !!!

With time you will be able to clone the sticks. It is all about little changes I do try to move to avoid sticks Do work hard at it !!!

As presented would desaturate the yellow The capture tends to overdue the yellows and reds Just lower a few points ..... and the big one ... head angle. The bird seems its looking away.

Your point of using a larger aperture is a good one With lots of clutter is a good move to shoot wide open. Also agree to banging away at first so you can get an image. After you can close in an improve Work the bird for the best possible image !!!! If you shoot in groups editing will be easier. You will be picking one or two from a group or ten or so !!!!

Bruce Gove
04-09-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the critique Alfred - I need to wade into those reeds (maybe check the depth before taking the rig with me!) and get a position where the sun is behind me. There's also tri-colored bbs at this site..

Cheers,

Bruce

Katie Rupp
04-09-2008, 07:48 PM
I really like this one, the colors are vibrant and it is so sharp! It makes me feel like the bird is just about to turn and look at me.

Anita Rakestraw
04-10-2008, 05:22 AM
Well, okay, so it's not perfect, but I'd be happy with it. You did great with all the detail in the blacks! The yellow looks a tiny bit hot on the throat but the head looks good to me. I saw a pair on our place yesterday for the first time this year. Hope to get a chance to photograph them!

Julie Kenward
04-10-2008, 10:30 AM
I really like it, too although I agree with Gus...if you could reconstruct the tail that would take it from really good to really great!

Bruce Gove
04-10-2008, 11:33 AM
thnaks to all for the looks and suggestions - a great image to practice my ps skills. I'll repost later.

Bruce

Harold Davis
04-10-2008, 02:53 PM
that's a beautiful bird, bruce. will be interesting to see what you come up with in PS!!

Nonda Surratt
04-11-2008, 07:11 AM
VERY Cool bird and image! Good going Bruce.

everything else covered.

D.J. McNeil
04-14-2008, 07:30 AM
I actually like the photo a lot! And about the tail... where is it? It looks like the bird has no tail! I've never seen a yellow-headed blackbird, but I'd assume their tails are similar to other blackbirds' tails...
excellent compostion though!

D.J. McNeil
04-14-2008, 07:30 AM
oh, and what is a "RR Blackbird"? Rusty blackbird?