Canon 7D
f 4.0 500mm
AV priority with EV at + 1 2/3
ISO 400
SS 1/1000
f 7.1
Taken at 7-53 AM
Almost full frame.
Cloned out some stray grass fronds in LUC. I would have loved a better HA but these herons are so skittish and this is one of the best I got.
LR3 and CS5
I like the curve of the grass going across the bird but want your advice re: keeping it or deleting it
Comments and critiques always learned from and appreciated with thanks,
Gail

Randy Stout
01-30-2012, 08:06 AM
Gail:

Where was this one taken?

I like the windblown crest, strong sense of his habitat. Although not usually too bothered by grasses and such, would remove this one. The part waving in the middle of the frame bothers me more than where it crosses the body.

I might also consider lowering the luminosity of the large yellow clump right at his feet.

The head looks just a bit soft. I might also try and open the shadows on the abdomen a bit.

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
01-30-2012, 09:20 AM
Lovely comp, and I personally don't mind the HA here (although I may be in a minority). I'd second all of Randy's good suggestions. Interesting bird; I didn't know about Black Egrets.

gail bisson
01-30-2012, 09:22 AM
hi Randy,
this was taken in Botswana in October 2011 near Shakawe in Northwestern Botswana. Thanks for your comments. do you mean the seed pod right in front of the feet?
how does one decrease the luminosity level?
I must need glasses because the head looks sharp to me!
gail
PS, I just realized that I posted "black egret "but it should be black heron! can you fix the title? Thanks

Randy Stout
01-30-2012, 09:50 AM
hi Randy,
this was taken in Botswana in October 2011 near Shakawe in Northwestern Botswana. Thanks for your comments. do you mean the seed pod right in front of the feet?
how does one decrease the luminosity level?
I must need glasses because the head looks sharp to me!
gail
PS, I just realized that I posted "black egret "but it should be black heron! can you fix the title? Thanks

The easiest way to lower the seed pod brightness would be to just use the burn tool very lightly, low opacity, and brush in the effect.
Not everyone will even be bothered by that issue, so your call.

I often use a luminosity layer and the multiply blend mode, a bit more adjustable, but probably not necessary here.

I fixed the title.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
01-30-2012, 11:53 AM
Hi Gail, they were called Black Egrets, so you have named him correctly with their new name - Black Heron. Great sighting, and these guys have an incredible wing display when fishing. Very well exposed on the blacks, sharp, and good to see him in his natural habitat. Seeing thats its only one blade of grass, I would trim it away too. Looks like you got yourself a variety of different species on your trip - great.

Rod Warnock
01-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Gail, Like the composition and also the step down of the grasses from right to left. For me the grass stem that crosses the lower front of bird adds more than it takes away..so for me I would leave it as is. It adds a natura lflow element thataddswith the drammatic pose of the bird. Seems sharp to me also. Thanks Randy for those tips on processing tips always welcome !!
Best regards
Rod Warnock

arash_hazeghi
01-31-2012, 12:27 AM
nice pose and display of habitat (nest?) The blacks are blocked.

Karl Egressy
01-31-2012, 06:13 AM
Beautiful picture, Gail. Perfect exposure and great composition.