PDA

View Full Version : Surprise Meeting

Steve Canuel
01-29-2012, 02:44 PM
Stumbled upon this whitetail buck grazing in a secluded meadow during a midsummer's evening hike. Only got this one shot before he took off. I liked the long neck of this guy, a big contrast from the thicker necked mule deer I usually see when I'm out and about. 40D, 400DO + 1.4xTC, f6.3, 1/60s, ISO 800, + 1/3 EC, HH, vertical crop from horizontal capture.

Brendon Cremer
01-29-2012, 04:08 PM
Steve, great colours in thins and the subject stands out nicely from the bg but it doesnt seem to have your usual sharpness and IQ.

Rachel Hollander
01-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Steve - nice pose, eye contact and color. Maybe another round of NR on the bg?

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Hi Steve, like your thinking of using a slimmer crop to echo that extended neck of this deer. Lovely inquisitive look, with that glossy muzzle and soft sheen of the eyes (almost a TM of yours :bg3:). In the way you have portrayed this, it almost has a Gerenuk look, (a long necked species of antelope found in Africa). Like it as presented, but also feel you could lose some space from the top without hurting the overall look & feel, just my 2 cents. :w3

TFS
Steve

Stu Bowie
01-30-2012, 01:13 PM
Hi Steve, I like how you have cropped this, and all antelope have excellent hearing, so he was aware of you long before you saw him.:w3 Lovely soft light, colours look good, and separated from the BG nicely.

Steve Canuel
02-01-2012, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Steve,
I thought of that antelope you mentioned but couldn't remember the name. Thanks for the reference.

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2012, 06:16 AM
you normally excel at these kind of "chance encounter" portraits, Steve...
I feel the slow SS has hurt the sharpness/IQ a little here as the head just isn't tack IMHO? :e3

perhaps a suggestion to improve IQ "as presented" would be to do another round of NR on the BG, and sharpen the face some more?

Steve Canuel
02-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Debated about posting this one Morkel as I had some of the same concerns you and others have raised. I've been playing with some new processing software and thought I'd put it out there for critiques. Thanks for the feedback.

Harshad Barve
02-22-2012, 09:19 PM
I liked this
TFS