PDA

View Full Version : Great Southern White

Don Lacy
01-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Found a bunch of these guys working wild flowers in the Everglades Image was made around mid day not my usual shooting time but I think the light was ok for this.

1DMKIII, 500 f/4 + 1.4 TC, Manual Mode, Evaluative Metered

Jerry van Dijk
01-29-2012, 03:31 PM
Very nice Don, light looks great. Good DOF, great BG, interesting perch. Some may find the leaf being slightly cut off by the frame distracting. May work well as a vertical crop as well.
Nicely done!

Brendan Dozier
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
Don, great looking b-fly and nice perch (I've photographed that same plant - but don't have id). Nicely compose with pleasant soft BG, and you managed the mid-day light well. Some good suggestions from Jerry.

jack williamson
01-30-2012, 01:28 PM
You made the light very ok Don. Very good exposure and the bg is great. I am wishing that the part of the plant below the bf was not there at all. Very nice.

Jack

Ken Childs
01-31-2012, 05:07 PM
Hi Don, I love the butterfly, the flower it's perched on and the BG looks good. I think this might look better if you cloned away the bud and leaves at the bottom and then cropped it as a vertical....all simple fixes. At least around here, butterflies are active when the natural light is high and harsh so when I shoot then, I generally use a fair amount of fill flash to keep the shadows at a minimum.

If anyone knows what this flower is, I'd love to know. I have a purple-blue version here but I haven't been able to ID it.

bhavya joshi
02-01-2012, 12:34 AM
Wonderful image Don.. I like the BG, Exopsure and DOF too.. Sharp and nice perch..Good macro.. TFS

Steve Maxson
02-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Hi Don. Excellent pose and sharpness and I love how the lighting brings out all the texture in the wings! The bud at the bottom is not really bothering me, but the image might be even better without it. If this was mine, I'd be tempted to go for a vertical crop. I don't know the name of this plant, but from a biological standpoint, I like how well it illustrates that the flower buds open sequentially from the bottom to the top of the stem. Very well done!

Bob Miller
02-02-2012, 09:47 PM
Don......I like this image alot. If it were mine I think I would try to bring more detail into that top wing with S/H or a multiply blend mode and mask. I also vote for a vertical crop

Ken Childs
02-03-2012, 12:15 PM
The plant is Turnsole (Heliotropium indicum). :S3:

Cheryl Arena Molennor
02-04-2012, 07:43 PM
Hey Don, Great detail and a nice bg too

Roman Kurywczak
02-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Nice isolation Don! I could go for the vert....as i like them tight and nice suggestions on toning down the rear wing a bit too. Overall.....easy tweaks to a winner!