PDA

View Full Version : Lewin's Honeyeater (Meliphaga lewinii) Matcham Valley

Rod Warnock
01-29-2012, 12:42 AM
Lewin's Honeyeater (Meliphaga lewinii) Matcham Valley NSW
Canon EOS 40D Lens 100-400mm L IS USM at 210mm ISO 500 F 5.0 1/1000 580EXII Flash 8 September 2010 11.01am
The site is backed by rainforest which accounts for the overall dark nature of the out of focus background. I try to maintain the lighting conditions of the background as much as possible even though often to isolate the main subject background detail is reduced. I find rainforest backgrounds a problem as I like including habitat but often this is not that easy. At this Matcham site I was working at a compost heap with the limited rainforest some metres away. Taken with my earlier setup now deceased after I dropped it into waterhole out in the South Australian mallee. :( !! The Lewin's Honeyeater has similarities with two other species the Graceful Honeyeater and the Yelllow-spotted Honeyeater. However the latter two species occur occur together with Lewin's Honeyeater in north-eastern Queensland. Lewin's Honeyeater is more easily identified as it is larger and has a very distinct call see : Birds in Backyards Website both for detail, distribution map and a sound byte of its call recorded by Fred Van Gessel see: http://birdsinbackyards.net/species/Meliphaga-lewinii However the Graceful and Yellow-spotted are problematic to identify in the field.
THanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Simon Bennett
01-30-2012, 09:21 PM
I like the typical pose and plumage detail Rod. The flash work looks just about right.