PDA

View Full Version : little egret

pat lillich
01-29-2012, 12:28 AM
1/1250 sec at f/6.3 iso 200 500mm f/4 lens handheld manual 1dmk4

this egret was standing in a muddy ditch which really looked terrible when i was standing up shooting down at it - but when i sat down, it smoothed out and looked like it went on forever.

rotated and cropped in Lr, white point set, color efex 4/detail extractor and nr in cs5

suggestions and comments always appreciated

Gus Hallgren
01-29-2012, 04:22 PM
HI Pat;

Great pose, head angle. Love the open beak, looks like he is talking to me.

Well done

Gus

John Goldman
01-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Very good you thought to get the camera lower. Nice capture.
For me there is way too much room at the top, crop some off.
I suggest go back to Color Efex and get some more detail out of this white bird, it is there.

Kerry Perkins
01-29-2012, 08:49 PM
Hello Pat, getting lower is always a good idea when at the water. It makes a big difference in the perspective and as you point out, the background looks much nicer because the shallow shooting angle gives more distance behind and helps with the bg blurring. Nice detail, especially for hand-holding the big glass. Super job on the exposure and color rendition. My first impression on the crop was also to take some off the top. Good show!

Jeff Cashdollar
01-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Pat,

Nice one, really like the detail in the whites - nice exposure techs. Too much negative space on top IMO, good comments above - keep em coming.

Also - the low profile is how they see things as well and really makes the picture stronger.

Cynthia Thayer
02-08-2012, 12:10 AM
What a great shot!! I love how changing the perspective improves a shot like this. You did well with the whites and focus. My only suggestion is maybe a slight crop on top to make the image more balanced. Well done.