PDA

View Full Version : Magellanic penguins ecstatic display

Charles Glatzer
01-29-2012, 12:02 AM
Magellanic penguins ecstatic display, Falklands

I believe images should tell a story. This image taken in pre-dawn hours shows the penguins performing the "ecstatic display". This can either be part of the mating ritual or can merely be indicative of territory ownership. Birds performing this display stretch their neck and point their beaks skywards whilst spreading their wings and making a braying noise. The display is often performed repetitively over periods of up to an hour or more, and is typically preformed at dawn or dusk.

1D IV, 500mm
Manual, Spot metered on white chest +2EV, 1/5 @ f/4.5, ISO 800
Post-production- 15in MBP, LR3, CS5, NIK

See you where there is light, or at the computer,

Chas in YNP

Randy Stout
01-29-2012, 07:50 AM
This one does indeed tell a story. It communicates the crepuscular nature of the display, the poses and action with it.
For me the relatively sharp central birds are the focus of the image around which the other elements pivot. I think low shutter speed images work best with at least something relatively sharp. Nicely exposed, like the setting.

Well done.

Cheers

Randy

Craig Kerr
01-29-2012, 09:12 AM
You captured a wonderful story Charles.... Like the blurred birds mixed with well focused birds

Ofer Levy
01-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Interesting image with beautiful soft light and colours. I like the composition too. The blurred birds weaken this image IMHO.

Tommy Rodgers
01-29-2012, 12:14 PM
For me the "jackass" penguin had the most neurotic behavior of the species I saw. After several encounters, I slowly began to appreciate their uniqueness and to see the fun and beauty in there behavior. This image effected me the same way. At first glance, the blurring was a distraction that confused me. After further viewing and reflection, I began to see the story and the artistry contain its telling. Sometimes in critiquing images, I concentrate on the "technicals" at the expense of the art. Thanks for reminding me that there can be, and probably should be, more in the art and story telling of an image than just the "technicals." I liked the image very much. Thanks for sharing.

Jeroen Stel
01-29-2012, 05:31 PM
Very interesting shot Charles and the movement tells the story well.
Excellent handling of blacks, whites and colors by the way.

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Sid Garige
01-29-2012, 09:58 PM
Not often we get to see an images like this one. From little I know, I can only imagine what it takes to make an image like this and dream to make my own version someday.