PDA

View Full Version : Great Gray Owl in Habitat

Karl Egressy
01-28-2012, 05:51 PM
After seeing this Owl on fence posts along the road and perches put up by local shooters, it was a great experience to see it perching at the edge of a little forest.
It was hunting, continuously scanning the forest floor until it flew out, giving me some more opportunities for flight shots.
Thanks for looking. I hope you like it as much as I do.

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Mode Manual Exposure
Tv 1/800
Av 3.2
Spot Metering
ISO Speed 640
EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM

Roman Kurywczak
01-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Hey Karl,
Great to see these in the wild! While not a full blown HAP card carryer.....but I wish I could see just a hint more of the eye on the right. I was going to recommend moving a bit to the right.....to avoid the merge of the BG tree with the body.......but a fine line there as then the branch would intersect the owl's body and not sure how much time you had! A nice image with good exposure so definitely one to have in the files!

Jim Crosswell
01-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Nice image Karl! I like the setting and exposure. I see some mark behind the owls head on the left side that you might want to eliminate.

Arthur Morris
01-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Good eyes by Jim on the extra section of cloned head.... Amazing how we miss those things. The merge of the with the edge of the tree in the center was unfortunate as was the branch that would have blocked the bird's face had you moved right. EXP and SH good.

Karl Egressy
01-29-2012, 03:08 AM
Thanks Jim and Artie. I fixed the problem more or less. I removed some OOF branches from the background. Also I suspect that when I resize the pictures for posting and use; "Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction)" it creates artifacts as I found them some other places when blown up to 400%. I'll have to investigate this and find out more about.

Stu Bowie
01-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Hi Karl, love the concentrated stare looking for his next meal. Good detail on the owl, and I would take this perch over a fence post any day.

Sachin Saraf
01-29-2012, 06:25 AM
Hi Karl, Love the stare and it really could have been top notch if the bird was not merged with the tree trunk in BG.

Arthur Morris
01-29-2012, 09:03 AM
Thanks Jim and Artie. I fixed the problem more or less. I removed some OOF branches from the background. Also I suspect that when I resize the pictures for posting and use; "Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction)" it creates artifacts as I found them some other places when blown up to 400%. I'll have to investigate this and find out more about.

YAW. Not to rain on your parade, but that mark looks very much like a mis-clone of part of the bird's head.... And the main problem is the merge of the bird with the trunk of the middle tree.

Karl Egressy
01-29-2012, 09:50 AM
Thanks Artie. I realize that. As I mentioned I cloned out a few branches, two OOF ones right around the head. Also when I blew it up , I noticed artifacts at other places along the edges that I also fixed.
I was wondering if it is because I routinly re-size my pictures by using "Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction)" in PP. What do you think? Should be a problem?
I guess I forgot to post the corrected version in the middle of the night while wathching the Australian Open.
Here it is now:

Arthur Morris
01-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Thanks Artie. I realize that. As I mentioned I cloned out a few branches, two OOF ones right around the head. Also when I blew it up , I noticed artifacts at other places along the edges that I also fixed. I was wondering if it is because I routinly re-size my pictures by using "Bicubic Sharper (best for reduction)" in PP. What do you think? Should be a problem? I guess I forgot to post the corrected version in the middle of the night while watching the Australian Open. Here it is now:

I am watching it--end of the 2nd set--on TIVO now... Rooting for Rafa.... No clues please :S3:. Thanks for understanding. I firmly believe that the obvious artifact was a result of catching part of the head while cloning. To avoid doing that, make sure to un-check the aligned box while cloning.... That is just one of the hundreds of great tips in Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252).

Karl Egressy
01-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks Artie, I have it. I guess I should read it. Keeping it under my pillow just wont do it.:S3:
No I won't give you a clue.

Arthur Morris
01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
:S3: Third set now. I was pretty sure that you had it. And yes, Digital Basics does not work by osmosis....