PDA

View Full Version : Big Leaf

Brendan Dozier
01-27-2012, 11:29 PM
Taken at San Diego Botanic Garden back in October. Not sure on ID of plant, but liked the light on this big leaf. Tried it in B&W, but ended up liking it in color better. ACR, CS5, cloned out some spots and vein in LRC, Topaz Detail, added some saturation. I believe the fine grain is leaf texure and not noise.

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x
1/100
ISO 800

Steve Maxson
01-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi Brendan. You captured an interesting mix of colors, patterns, and textures and I like the diagonal of the main leaf vein. Good sharpness throughout. Even though the fine detail (which resembles noise) was in the leaf, I'm wondering if the image would be more aesthetically "pleasing" if this was smoothed out a little - you might experiment with some NR. :S3: This is pretty subjective so it will be interesting to see what others chime in. Very well done.

Don Lacy
01-29-2012, 02:39 PM
Hi Brandon I think Steve is right about softening it up a bit would be interested in seeing what that does. the image works nicely as is with nice patterns and colors.

Brendan Dozier
01-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Thanks, Steve and Don. Here's a repost, I backed off the sharpening some to give it softer look, and some additional dodging on some veins in LLC. I think the grain was too sharp in OP.

Ken Childs
01-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Hey Brendan, I definitely prefer the OP. The texture of this leaf looks good to me but as Steve, this is a subjective matter and I can understand how some might like a smoother look to it. You might consider a slight boost in contrast, just enough to get some definition to those shadows. Overall this one is really nice! :S3:

Bob Miller
02-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Hi Brendan...The original post works best for me! I really like the textured look combined with the beautiful colors . Your composition is tightly composed ( well thought out) beautiful work!