PDA

View Full Version : Vertical Stitched Pano Glacier

Arthur Morris
01-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Just got back from a great Southern Oceans voyage: the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica. This image was created with the tripod-mounted Canon 300mm f/2.8L IS II lens, the 2X III TC, and the EOS-5D MII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering +2 1/3 stops: 1/320 sec. at f/9 set manually and confirmed by blinkies/histogram check.

Vertical stitched pano from 2 1/2 original frames: Hannah Point, Antarctica. See more at Home From the Southern Oceans Trip (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/01/26/home-from-the-southern-oceans-trip/).

Don't be shy; all honest comments and critiques welcome.

Arthur Morris
01-27-2012, 06:19 PM
ps: the birds lower right are Southern Giant Petrels.

Jay Gould
01-27-2012, 07:52 PM
Artie, is is a WOW! The white sky probably indicates that everything was a bit flat, no shadows, however definite depth. Having been there, you certainly captured the essence of what you saw. BTW, with which group did you do the trip? Welcome back,

Arthur Morris
01-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Artie, is is a WOW! The white sky probably indicates that everything was a bit flat, no shadows, however definite depth. Having been there, you certainly captured the essence of what you saw. BTW, with which group did you do the trip? Welcome back,

Hi Jay and thanks. Yes, a very dreary afternoon. This was the last image that I made on the trip. My choice at present is not to publicly speak of the group that I traveled with.

Hilary Hann
01-28-2012, 02:21 AM
I would love to see this larger to appreciate the obvious detail in the image. I do like the muted tones in the photograph and even though part of me would like to see the green of the ice more prominent, I think it may spoil the overall effect of the image. I especially like the thin line across the top of the snow which breaks the larger expanse of white, or is that sky Jay is alluding to, I took it to be snow? Hard to get a feeling of the size of those breaking wedges of ice. Nicely done indeed.

Andrew McLachlan
01-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Hi Arthur, nicely stitched image. I like the white-on-white look created here with the white sky above the snow and ice. The detail in the foreground ice is quite nice as well.

Bob Miller
01-28-2012, 07:18 PM
Wow....i just love those whites. Soft light yes but is there some processing going on that lead to these amazing whites?

Arthur Morris
01-28-2012, 08:05 PM
Wow....i just love those whites. Soft light yes but is there some processing going on that lead to these amazing whites?

Not sure that I understand your question: all of my RAW files are processed....

Jerry van Dijk
01-29-2012, 03:58 PM
Good impression in an unusual crop of what must be an overpowering landscape! I like it as presented, but I think the image would be stronger if the diagonals would have extended a bit further (i.e. a wider crop). There is a stitch or clone artifact in the UL corner, directly on the darker diagonal line.

Matt Fragale
01-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Looks like an awesome place to have been. Even with the birds there, it's hard to imagine the scale of that photo, though. Do the glaciers naturally have those dark-edged lines, or is that something you added or accentuated in post processing? I've really enjoyed seeing all the photos that you have posted from this trip. Thanks for putting them here.

Arthur Morris
01-29-2012, 09:10 PM
The dark edges are dirt pushed along by the glacier. And yes, it was an awesome place.

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Artie, I like all that detail in the lower part of the image and even in that second upper ridge with the blue ice. Compared to that, the top seems rather unimpressive and IMO weakens the image. I don't see a good recrop however that I might suggest - at best above the upper ridge with the blue ice and cutting the next ridge up in half. I would have liked to see a pano of the lower or upper ridges.

Declan Troy
01-31-2012, 01:43 PM
Artie,

What was your rationale for using the 300 x 2 and stitching together multiple images rather than using a smaller focal length lens to get it all in a single frame?

Arthur Morris
01-31-2012, 04:12 PM
More pixels. Plus convenience. The 300 was already on the tripod... Plus it's fun.

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2012, 05:36 AM
what a plethora of interesting textures here Artie
I hear what Robert is saying - wish there was more of the bottom texture to go around.
I wonder what a nice contrasty B&W would look like here? :bg3: