PDA

View Full Version : Last light over the Lahai forest, Ngorongoro

Hilary Hann
01-27-2012, 06:26 AM
The Acacia Lahai forests in the Ngorongoro highlands harbour some of the most amazing trees I've seen and in this landscape you can see the flat tops of them spreading out towards the crater wall. One day I'll go back to photograph in amongst the trees in more detail as the bark and wood in this old forest is wonderful. This was taken from the top of the crater wall as the sun was setting. I've tried to maintain the soft look of the evening light.
5dmk2; EF24-105mm @ 47mm ; 1/30 ss; f16; ISO200; tripod
Looking at the preview as it will appear here, it looks like I might have made it a bit too mellow?

Steve Kaluski
01-27-2012, 07:23 AM
A very arresting image Hilary.

Although I fully appreciate you trying to retain the soft evening light and mellow colours, I just wonder if a hint more punch ie Saturation/Vibrancy might help, but not much, WDYT? I like the layering effect and for me, it's nicely composed with a good sense of balance.

A lovely way to end the day, perhaps with a glass of Amarula on the rocks?:bg3:

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-27-2012, 07:26 AM
Hi Hilary - I actually like the "mellowness," this image has a soothing effect and belies the hunting action of the predators about to take place. The tree in the lrc is a good anchor for the image. I like the layers of color and the leading line of the forest edge and the road on the floor also serves as another leading line. If it were mine I would consider cropping the darkest cloud area from the top and creating more of a pano version. Also not sure if you applied LCE but something in the processing seems to have caused a halo at the edge between the sky and the crater wall.

TFS,
Rachel

Hilary Hann
01-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Steve, I think you've nailed the problem and I will head back and add some vibrancy (which I prefer to the heavy saturation tool). Something was niggling me about it and I couldn't put my finger on it. Nothing quite like a drink with a view like that! :w3

Hilary Hann
01-27-2012, 07:34 AM
Thanks Rachel for your comments. I've looked at the original raw file and there is a band of smokey looking cloud across the whole opposite crater wall, and this has given the wall an almost light edge. Perhaps a result of the varying layers of light and different clouds and the slow shutter speed. Is it too annoying?

Rachel Hollander
01-27-2012, 07:44 AM
Hilary - no, not too annoying. And that explains it, I just know I can get something like that if not careful when applying LCE selectively. I agree with Steve, pass the amarula on the rocks!

Rachel

Steve Kaluski
01-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Before making any changes Hilary I think it would be useful to get feedback from others. Hence my comment to Vivaldo on his repost. If we go with one thought then perhaps this post becomes blinkered and as this is a Critique it is extremely valuable to have other members input to distill from, otherwise everyone latches onto one comment, good or bad without adding their OWN voice. :S3: There maybe other suggestions of improvement which could well be more valuable and allows people to think and explore.

Hilary Hann
01-27-2012, 08:29 AM
Steve, quite right and I usually don't do anything for a few days just to consider comments and evaluate everyone's ideas based on their past history of what they like and how they present their work. And it is late here so I've switched off! :S3: Perhaps there will be some more points to look at tomorrow.

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Hey Hilary,
I often find the crater has that band of haze/dust. You have to be very careful with the boost not to eliminate the dust so I would selectively go for the sky first......then perhpas lighten the FG a slight touch.....then adjust or leave the MG. My 2 cents but an overall lovely scene!

Jay Gould
01-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Hilary, while I am usually the heavy handed saturation give it more punch guy, there is little doubt that you created what you wanted to accomplish; I like it as is.

If you do punch it please post the RP.

Andrew McLachlan
01-27-2012, 11:25 PM
Hi Hilary, this is a lovely image. I like the colors in the sky and the land below is beautiful. If it were mine I think all I would do is add a very light touch of Nik's Tonal Contrast to the sky. I like the placement of the tree in the lower right corner. Very nice capture. :S3:

Hilary Hann
01-28-2012, 01:33 AM
I tried both vibrance (which I prefer over the saturation tool) as per Steve's suggestion, and the Tonal Contrast as per Andrew and will repost both. Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions. I quite like all versions for different reasons so it is a good outcome for me. :S3:

Hilary Hann
01-28-2012, 01:34 AM
This is the version with some vibrance added.

Hilary Hann
01-28-2012, 01:36 AM
And this is the version with Nik's tonal contrast (to taste, which was less than the auto response) to the sky only.

Brendan Dozier
01-28-2012, 03:07 AM
Beautiful wide open landscape, Hilary. Nice composition, love different layers, combinations of color. Like small zig-zag line of trees on the plain below, and nice clouds. Think the added saturation works well in repost, but on second repost maybe just a bit less on the tonal adjustment, just a bit too dark. Nice work!

Steve Kaluski
01-28-2012, 04:14 AM
I think the Total version is the one that has nailed the shot for me, certainly has brought out more detail that was hidden overall.

Congratulations on this one.

Steve

Morkel Erasmus
01-28-2012, 08:15 AM
I like your use of layers here Hilary - and a very dreamy/velvet sky indeed! An area I would love to visit one day
I like the last repost with Tonal Contrast applied. Was there any way to get more of the FG tree in-frame? :Whoa!:

A lovely way to end the day, perhaps with a glass of Amarula on the rocks?:bg3:

Now that is an awesome idea! Amarula is niiiiice...:cheers::cheers:

Andrew McLachlan
01-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Hi Hilary, nice work with the tonal contrast filter. :S3:

Brendan Dozier
01-28-2012, 01:36 PM
For me, it's mainly the streak of cloud on the left, it just seems a bit too strong from the tonal adjustment. Like the detail in sky, just some of the streaks seem a bit too dark from tonal adjustment? :S3: Everything else looks great!

Hilary Hann
01-28-2012, 04:38 PM
Brendan, good point on the streak.

Morkel, I shot with more of the tree in the foreground, but as I'm sure we all understand about landscapes, it is often the other elements in the image which determine our final crop. In this case there were many light colored bushes in the near foreground which I chose to crop not clone. And ultimately, I liked the amount of escarpment left in the foreground.

Thanks everyone for your feedback both in the first instance and on the repost options, very helpful.

Arthur Morris
01-28-2012, 09:29 PM
I like both reposts. You did well with a difficult composition.....

Marc Mol
01-30-2012, 01:44 AM
Prefer the Nik RP also Hilary, love the crater green with nice detail in the sky BG, and agree this area is magical @ dusk & dawn.:w3
TFS

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2012, 05:46 PM
I like your use of layers here Hilary - and a very dreamy/velvet sky indeed! An area I would love to visit one day
I like the last repost with Tonal Contrast applied. Was there any way to get more of the FG tree in-frame? :Whoa!:

Now that is an awesome idea! Amarula is niiiiice...:cheers::cheers:

Morkel was thinking just as I am on the tree. I like the Tonal Contrast version.