PDA

View Full Version : Buttermilk Falls

Morris Altman
01-26-2012, 08:19 PM
</SPAN></SPAN></SPAN>http://qcpages.qc.cuny.edu/~maltman/072906DSC_2428-BWc.jpg

D70s + 24-120 VR @ </SPAN>40 mm</SPAN>, ISO 200, </SPAN>0.4s</SPAN>, </SPAN>f/25</SPAN></SPAN>

This is one of the upper cascades on the Buttermilk River outside of Ithaca New York. A fiend was kind enough to take me to this beauty.</SPAN></SPAN>

Comments and suggestions welcome,</SPAN></SPAN>

Morris</SPAN></SPAN>

Rachel Hollander
01-26-2012, 09:16 PM
Hi Morris - As a Cornell alum I know that scene well and have enjoyed hiking and hanging out at the falls. The slow ss has worked well to blur the cascades. The dof is also good. The b&w conversion looks good though I am sure the color scene would also be nice. You might try opening up the shadows a tad.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
01-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Hi Morris, agree with Rachel on opening up the shadows a little more. This is a lovely series of cascades and the B&W conversion works well for this image. I am not too crazy on the fallen logs on the left side of the frame...any chance you photographed a few in the vertical orientation that eliminate the logs. Overall a nice B&W image. I'd love to see the color version sometime too.

Brendan Dozier
01-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Beautiful cascades, Morris. Nicely captured & composed. B&W conversion works well, and like the softness you achieved with 0.4 shutter speed. Agree with Rachel on opening up shadows a bit more if you can.

Jay Gould
01-27-2012, 08:20 PM
Luntsman, one month, 50 posts, 8 threads - welcome to BPN. I haven't seen your other threads; after seeing this one I will certainly search them out.

Agree with the other comments, I think you will do justice to this image by opening up the LHS.

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Morris,

Well composed with the leading line created by the falls well placed in the image and enough detail left and right to balance it all out.

Agree that opening up shadows would put this over the top. Really like the well-thought-out use of B&W here.

Morris Altman
01-30-2012, 09:34 PM
Thank you everyone. It’s interesting that I see lots of detail on the left side. I have a spider calibrated IPS monitor. I know I see more than I used to when using a TN based monitor. <o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Morris<o:p></o:p>

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2012, 06:05 AM
I'll be the odd-one-out here in saying that I quite like the dark feel you created here - almost a natural sort of vignette to focus the eye on the cascading falls.
SS is just right for me for the water blur.
Do post some more, Morris! :bg3:

Morris Altman
02-02-2012, 07:08 AM
Thank you Morkel,</SPAN>

I executed on the concept of a good black point is critical for a B&W image. I also a big fan of contrast and adjusted my curves to have plenty of it. </SPAN>

Thank you,</SPAN>

Morris</SPAN>