PDA

View Full Version : Iceberg-Scape

Arthur Morris
01-26-2012, 03:08 PM
Iceberg with brash ice and blue skies. Just got back from a great Southern Oceans voyage: the Falklands, South Georgia, and Antarctica. This image was created with the hand held Canon 16-35mm L IS lens (hand held at 16mm) and the EOS-5D MII. ISO 400. Evaluative metering -1 stop: 1/800 sec. at f/16 in Av Mode confirmed by blinkies/histogram check.

See more at Home From the Southern Oceans Trip (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/01/26/home-from-the-southern-oceans-trip/).

Don't be shy; all honest comments and critiques welcome.

Bill Jobes
01-26-2012, 03:53 PM
This is one of those photographs that seem to have more 'motion' than many videos.

I love the way the ice chunks in the ocean, and the clouds in the sky point to and visually flow toward the large iceberg. It's as if Nature's maestro is directing the eye to the behemoth.

Add to that the reflections of clouds and the iceberg in the ocean, and you have an over-the-top visual experience.

Welcome home, Artie -- and thanks for arriving bearing such a gift !

Steve Adkins
01-26-2012, 06:06 PM
A gift, indeed! Wonderful flow of the broken ice. I'm glad there was an opening for the reflection. Amazing variety of texture on the berg. The smooth left edge is such a contrast to the rough layers. Nicely done.

Andrew McLachlan
01-26-2012, 06:10 PM
Hi Arthur, love the foreground ice and the way you placed the reflection of the iceberg's highest peak right at the edge of the water / ice chunks.

Morris Altman
01-26-2012, 08:12 PM
Hi Artie,<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
I think this is the second landscape I’ve seen of yours and it is quite impressive. It appears you are rather high over the water that the wide angle lens has worked to your advantage as the broken ice creates leading lines into the image. The detail in the ice and even the very still reflection gives the viewer a lot to take in. The sky has a bit more noise than the water and that’s simply an observation and I like the effect. Have you ever experienced the ice flows form a kayak or a raft? It makes you feel real small. You have another spectacular image to add to your huge collection.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Morris<o:p></o:p>

Brendan Dozier
01-26-2012, 11:03 PM
Beautiful iceberg-scape, Artie. Plenty for the eye to enjoy and explore. The FG really draws the eye into a grand scene. Interesting shape to iceberg, love the blues, variety of textures, and reflection is nice touch.

Hilary Hann
01-27-2012, 06:12 AM
One of the pleasures of the Antarctic are the icescapes, they always seem to have something different to offer. The leading lines of the ice, flowing into the iceberg are very nice, as are the reflections in the water.

Rachel Hollander
01-27-2012, 07:56 AM
Artie - I really like the hues of blues of the sky, ice and water and the detail on the iceberg face and bits of ice. Reflection is great too.

TFS,
Rachel

Arthur Morris
01-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks all for your more than kind words. I love this one too :).

Arthur Morris
01-27-2012, 08:01 AM
Hi Artie, I think this is the second landscape I’ve seen of yours and it is quite impressive. It appears you are rather high over the water that the wide angle lens has worked to your advantage as the broken ice creates leading lines into the image. The detail in the ice and even the very still reflection gives the viewer a lot to take in. The sky has a bit more noise than the water and that’s simply an observation and I like the effect. Have you ever experienced the ice flows form a kayak or a raft? It makes you feel real small. You have another spectacular image to add to your huge collection. Morris<o:p></o:p>

Thanks Morris. I was not very high.... My lens was about 12 inches above the water as I was leaning over the gunnels of the zodiac. The noise is likely a result of the tiny pixels of the 5D MII.

Arthur Morris
01-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Why -1 stop EC?

denise ippolito
01-27-2012, 09:11 AM
I love this one too. The foreground ice just pulls you in. The details look great.

Marina Scarr
01-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Stunning icescape. That FG ice does help lead your eye right into the picture. The colors are gorgeous and a very nice composition.

pat lillich
01-27-2012, 04:06 PM
Artie, I love this one!! all the lines pull your eyes into the iceberg and the colors are so beautiful.

Jay Gould
01-27-2012, 07:59 PM
This is an amazing image conveying incredible depth and strength. Please share you processing. BTW, when did you get the 5DII?

Arthur Morris
01-27-2012, 09:22 PM
This is an amazing image conveying incredible depth and strength. Please share you processing. BTW, when did you get the 5DII?

Thanks Jay. The RAW was converted in CS-5 with ACR and then a bit of NIK Color Efex Pro 4 Tonal Contrast was added with a bit of Detail Extractor as well (painted in with a Hide-All Mask). To hear the 5D MII tale and learn lots more about Color Efex Pro 4 (and save a few bucks as well) click here (http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/01/26/home-from-the-southern-oceans-trip/).

Jay Gould
01-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Mate, I am really glad you have jumped into the Nik products with both feet!! With your extensive knowledge, when you adopt a new product your learning curve is so quick and so good that you overnight become a teacher of the product. I have been using the Nik Suite for awhile; looking forward to your learning and teaching control points and Viveza. :-)

I save a link to each Blog page that discusses use and application of CEP.

I saw the quip regarding the 5D2 in the Blog; looking forward to the story. I too love the 5D2; looking forward to the specs on the 5D3. With bodies like the 7D and the 5D series, it is kinda hard to spend the big bucks for the 1DX.

Morkel Erasmus
01-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Artie - one word here - WOW
Just love this. I am going to refrain from any further critique and just gape at it for a few minutes.
Cheers!
:cheers::Whoa!:

Arthur Morris
01-28-2012, 05:56 PM
Thanks all above for your kind words :S3:.

Bob Miller
01-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Loving the low intimate angle here it really pulls me into the scene.....lots of details to enjoy! Love your work!

Mario Moreno
01-29-2012, 02:50 AM
Wonderful image !! like the broken pieces of ice guiding the eye towards the big iceberg

Jerry van Dijk
01-29-2012, 04:16 PM
This is really amazing! I love all the blues and agree with all positive points about composition already mentioned. Great image.
Possible answer to quiz: most of the image is a quite dark blue (water, sky). This would lead the camera to increase exposure time, thereby overexposing the whites of the ice and clouds thus removing detail from them. Am I close?

Arthur Morris
01-29-2012, 04:20 PM
This is really amazing! I love all the blues and agree with all positive points about composition already mentioned. Great image. Possible answer to quiz: most of the image is a quite dark blue (water, sky). This would lead the camera to increase exposure time, thereby overexposing the whites of the ice and clouds thus removing detail from them. Am I close?

You are not close; you are 100% correct. The trick is to be confident enough to get it right in the field on the first try (lest the sun hide behind a cloud). I did and it did!

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2012, 03:23 PM
Hi Artie, nice to see you back and posting some landscapes.

I did not read the above comments so here is mine (though when I was scanning down I saw EXPOSURE QUIZ for -1 Av EC).

Right move placing the lens close to the water to accentuate the FG and the leading lines into the image. I like that you left the left side of the berg farther from the edge then on the right - creates a more dramatic look then centering it.

Exposure Quiz: Lots of dark water. Use -1 to compensate placing water in its correct darker than mid-tone zone and exposing the highlights correctly.

arash_hazeghi
01-31-2012, 03:26 AM
very nice, I like the wide angle preservative. I am not seeing any noise in the sky, just a bit of compression, image has lots of detail would be impressive to see a large print

Andrew Aveley
03-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Think i am just gonna stare at this rather :) Great image

Arthur Morris
03-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Thanks again for all of the very nice comments above. artie in Japan