PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Merganser Part II

Jeroen Stel
01-26-2012, 08:25 AM
Hi Guys,

Here's the female of the earlier posted male Hooded Merganser. Was very pleased to be able to photograph both of them..

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Canon Eos 1D Mark IV
Shutter speed: 1/250 sec
Aperture: F 4
Exposure mode: M
Exposure compensation: - 1
Flash:no
Flash exposure compensation:
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: AI Focus
ISO: 400
Lens: Canon 600mm F4
Focal length:780 mm
AF mode: Auto Focus
On Beanbag from water's edge
Levels/Curves/USM/Contrast/Saturation/Noise Ninja/Home stewed Sharpening-mix/ Adobe Photoshop CS5

Stu Bowie
01-26-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi Jeroen, Good low angle, and I like the different colours of brown on both the duck, and complimentary BG. I feel your ss has let you down with regards to sharpness, but I would try some selective sharpening to see if you can show up more detail. If you are fine with it, I would remove the stick in front, and the one behind the tail.

Jim Crosswell
01-26-2012, 09:58 AM
Nice image Jeroen! I like the low angle and water texture.

Jeroen Stel
01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
Hi Guys,

Have to agree it coud use some selective sharpness so that's what i did in this repost. I personally like the stick coming out of the water but that's personal i guess.

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Jim Crosswell
01-26-2012, 10:14 AM
I like the repost better. Are you going to print and hang the male and female together?

Stu Bowie
01-26-2012, 10:35 AM
Your repost does look much better with the additional sharpening. I respect your decision to leave the stick.

Daniel Cadieux
01-26-2012, 12:17 PM
A male and now a female...I guess you'll be looking for babies soon! I like the relaxed but alert pose. Nice tones throughout too. I know you like that branch but I find it unlucky that it was there, and I personally find the heavy vignetting-like effect too strong...was that done in post?

Stan Cunningham
01-26-2012, 12:25 PM
This is all just a matter of taste, but I would lighten the viginette effect a 1/3 stop or so. And I like the branch as well.

gail bisson
01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
I like the dark colors but here is another vote to get rid of the branch that intersects with the beak and agree with decreasing the vignetting a bit,
Gail

Jeroen Stel
01-26-2012, 01:55 PM
As opninions are divided i decided to post another version with the stick removed and the vignette lightened up a bit.
I do like the lighter vignette but personally i prefer the stick as a reference point.

By the way this species is called "Kokardezaagbek" ik Dutch wich is hard for me to pronounce so wonder how you guys would pronounce it...:w3:S3:

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

gail bisson
01-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Excellent PP work. It must have been difficult with the reflection. I really like the repost and now you can hang them on the wall side by side!!
I would say it as KOKAR rhymes with trochar -day ya-bek ?
Gail

dankearl
01-27-2012, 12:51 AM
The third time is the charm.
The last repost is very nice.

Jeroen Stel
01-27-2012, 03:55 AM
Thanks for your comments guys!
Gail...you made me laugh with the pronouncement of Kokardezaagbek..:w3

greetings,

Jeroen Stel

Robert Holguin
01-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Wonderful image. Love the water, excellent pose, and I like the very last repost the best.
Well done.

gail bisson
01-27-2012, 04:00 PM
OK, so how do you say it?
Gail
:bg3:
Thanks for your comments guys!
Gail...you made me laugh with the pronouncement of Kokardezaagbek..:w3

greetings,

Jeroen Stel