PDA

View Full Version : Back off!!

Marc Mol
01-26-2012, 01:15 AM
This hyena pair (other just out of frame) were having a real battle in keeping the vultures away from their buffalo.

D700 70-200VRII 1/1600s f/7 ISO800@200mm F/F. 10% crop. Chichele salt pan, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Ken Watkins
01-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Marc,

Great action here, very lucky to get so much clear, nice to see somebody stealing from a Hyena (watch this space):w3

I do like the Maribou standing very sedately in the background, really typical behaviour.

Much as I hate to say it, could it do with a little rotation?:bg3:

Vivaldo Damilano
01-26-2012, 07:06 AM
I guess the Hyena lost the battle in the end. I like that the action was caught in the open area. Great shot Mark TFS :cheers:

Rachel Hollander
01-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Marc - nice action, well captured. Good dof and pov. I too like the presence of all the different vultures and storks.

TFS,
Rachel

Fred Canter
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
Great action image. DOF really adds to the shot and gives a lot to view in the photo, I like it.

v.p.nurdeen
01-26-2012, 10:07 PM
Hi Marc,
great action image.
VPN

Steve Kaluski
01-27-2012, 03:06 AM
Hi Marc the image certainly conveys the frantic times at such a scene, where everyone is vying for 'a piece of the cake', so to speak.

Perhaps a difficult call on what to shoot with, as you want to show the aggression in the hyena, but the surrounding mayhem too. Obviously with hindsight, but I might suggest going for a wider lens in a situation like this. It will still have impact and portray the scene, but perhaps would avoid the clipped bodies as per to the RHS, always difficult. Colour & detail look good and based on the position & level of everyone in the FG, the BKG horizon isn't and issue. If you did want to adjust it there is a quick fix, but it's not a deal breaker.

TFS
Steve

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2012, 09:51 AM
Hey Marc,
Fantastic action. Like Steve, I have often switched in moments like this to a wider lens.......for me, those lost some of the action and seemed diminished.......so I like the choice here! I love the sounds you have at those moments too! I can hear all the rucus so you have captured the chaos of the moment very well!

Morkel Erasmus
01-27-2012, 04:55 PM
I know how tricky it is to capture something meaningful in such a raucous...well done on that! I do like the depth you show here but how about considering a pano crop? In hindsight framing like this would have been ideal if there was a bit more space on the LHS. :w3 Still, an image I wouldn't mind in my collection!

Harshad Barve
02-22-2012, 02:08 AM
Excellent natural history document here , I hope this will get London ticket ;)
TFS