PDA

View Full Version : Wild dog pack

Tom Graham
01-25-2012, 11:19 PM
My contribution to the wild dog images. This taken in Sep of 2009 at Kirkmans Kamp, Sabi Sand, South Africa. My only sighting ever of wild dogs. We saw them in the morning, a pack of about 12, relaxing on the Sand River bank. That late afternoon we went back and after a while they became active and started to play/greet. They took off into the low bush, hunting we believed, and we in the Range Rover tried to keep up. A rough bumpy chase. We got to their killed small impala about four minutes after they killed it. Another maybe ten minutes and it was all devoured. From the time they became active until they killed was maybe 20 minutes, remarkable.
Nikon D200, f8, 1/500, ISO 360, 70-300 lens at 250mm. Cropped off about 20%, worked in PS. At the time I loved the somewhat back light, mid morning I think, but not as good as I had hoped for.

Tom

Vivaldo Damilano
01-26-2012, 07:13 AM
Tom you were very lucky to see these Wild Dogs at Kirkmans. I have been to Kirkmans camp three times and have never seen them there. The IQ is not the best due to the back light, it's a pity TFS:cheers:

Steve Kaluski
01-26-2012, 07:41 AM
Like the composition/setting & low POV Tom, but the IQ, clarity & depth isn't there. It looks as if it has been lightened or Highlight/Shadow applied and the saturation increased. The Dog in the FG certainly looks washed out and the mound at the foot of the image is a little distracting.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
01-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Tom - nice sighting but unfortunately I agree with the above comments that the IQ, clarity and color aren't quite there. Also, I am presuming that you lightened the eyes of at least the closest 2 dogs but I think that you went too far and have given them somewhat of a zombie-like look to the eyes.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
01-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Tom,

I fear there is little you could do rescue this one, which is a pity as Wild Dog sightings are a marvelous experience.

Can you post the original, just to see if anything can be done?

Tom Graham
01-26-2012, 12:38 PM
Sighting wild dogs is a rere opportunity, they roam far and wide and never predictable unless the have a den with pups.
I agree Ken, not much can help the IQ. I've looked at it on occasion and I like the basic composition with the dog standing and three down all looking same direction. But no big deal, just another photo. Rachel, good spot, I did try opening up eyes those two and went too far. That is the top of the river bank at bottom. We had a unique view of the pack from across it, here is a snap showing basic view approach. The vehicle is another one, not mine, form the camp. I prefer this snap over my original posting but of course does not work as a wildlife photo. (Also notice shadow from vehicle, looks like time was mid-morning).

Thanks All - Tom

Morkel Erasmus
01-27-2012, 03:28 AM
Great sighting and POV...but I'm afraid this one really does look "washed out" Tom...as Ken requested, do you mind posting the original unedited JPG straight from camera, so we can perhaps have a "crack" at it?? :w3

Hilary Hann
01-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Tom, if you will take one piece of advice from anyone, it is this … with a raw file you would have been able to salvage much more from your image. I'm sure you must have another trip planned soon, so make the switch. :S3: This would have been fantastic without the IQ issues. (yes, I know you shoot jpg, but it is painless and quite a bit of fun playing with the raw files.)

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Hey Tom,
Issues already mentioned but I am a bit jealous that you had so many to choose from!!! I usually find them sleeping!!!

Ken Watkins
01-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Hey Tom,
I usually find them sleeping!!!

Depending on season they usually wake up between 17.00 and 18.00, unless they are really hungry.:bg3:

Morning sightings are a different matter alltogether, you need to be up really early, and hope they are not to far way.

Tom Graham
01-27-2012, 12:31 PM
By popular demand :S3: , here is location for the original file. DSC_1242.jpg (jpg not RAW), 4.6MB, 3872x2952 px.
http://www.mediafire.com/?shbyb3rk73n1oyp
Would be interested to see what anyone can do with it, thanks.
Tom

Morkel Erasmus
01-27-2012, 04:19 PM
I tried to work with the file, Tom...but in all honesty I would have canned this one. The detail retention in the original shot on the main subject (standing dog) is just lacking too much. The lighting produced a flat image and the sharpness is just not there. :e3

Roman Kurywczak
01-27-2012, 04:55 PM
I tried to rework it too Tom and only mirrored your OP......sorry.

Tom Graham
01-27-2012, 04:58 PM
Understand Morkel. Many thanks for your effort to evaluate it. Agree, IQ is not there for any serious work. Mostly I like it because it show some pack together, not just one dog. I could go back and see if I have multiple shots (usually do) and might find a better one. But think I'll move on.
Maybe focus was off? Maybe 1/500 sec not fast enough? I always use lens hood so flare should not have been a problem.
And thanks Roman for trying it.
Tom