PDA

View Full Version : Lion Eye

Brendon Cremer
01-25-2012, 03:07 PM
May not be everyones cup of tea but i like the detail and the simplicity of the image, WDYT?

Mark Wiseman
01-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Hi Brendon,
I like the detail that your image shows and the wonderful light. I would try to change the composition or the crop to get the eye on one of the intersecting thirds. I think the image would be stronger for it. It is a great image, but by looking at a different crop it may improve.
Thanks for sharing and best wishes,
Mark.

Roman Kurywczak
01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
Hey Brendan,
I like the design and comp.....but perhaps a touch over sharpend on the fur? this one has great potential!

Rachel Hollander
01-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Brendon - I agree with the above, nice concept, the light is great but the fur is a bit oversharpened imho. If this is not a large crop already, I would experiment with going in even tighter on the eye too.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
01-25-2012, 07:30 PM
The lighting, texture, colour & detail are superb Brendon, only nit would be to back off (just a tad) on the fur sharpening.
TFS

Steve Canuel
01-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Agree with others on the fur sharpening but the detail in that eye is awesome. Don't know what comes into view by moving the eye up by 1/3 - 1/2, but it seems a more natural placement for this type of image.

Ken Watkins
01-25-2012, 11:18 PM
I cannot but agree with the comments made so far, an interesting concept, could you post the techs?

Not often you see a Lion with open eyes:w3

Mario Moreno
01-25-2012, 11:27 PM
I love the composition and the fact that you went in really close. I do feel, however, that it is slightly over sharpened

Hilary Hann
01-26-2012, 01:54 AM
Can only agree on the previous comments.

Brendon Cremer
01-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Thanks all for your great comments, I have adjusted the sharpness, i have not changed the comp as the eye is pretty much as close a damit to the bottom LHS third power point.

Brendon Cremer
01-26-2012, 02:01 AM
Sorry i forgot the techs.

1/1250 sec @ f8
Exposure - 1/3 EV
ISO 500
Canon 1D MK III
Canon 600 F4 IS USM

Ken Watkins
01-26-2012, 02:03 AM
Brendon,

The repost nails it:cheers:

Steve Kaluski
01-26-2012, 03:23 AM
Hi Brendon, I feel the repost has gone the other way, the OP is slightly over sharpened in my opinion, but just a fraction, but gives better clarity to the centre of the eye and the radiating lines.

The light looks quite harsh giving very strong blacks within and around the eye which has reduced any detail and depth, just reflecting on the Cheetah close up. In addition the crop/format isn't quite working, if you keep to this then perhaps a 'pano', but the space above as presented is too much. Not knowing if this is a crop or FF, I would suggest looking at the RoT's on this one, if you have the space moving it up and more to the top LHC would I feel strengthen the overall comp.

TFS
Steve

Brendon Cremer
01-26-2012, 06:39 AM
Thanks for your comments Steve, here is a RP with suggested edits. WDYT

Ken Watkins
01-26-2012, 07:17 AM
Brendon,

I much prefer your original repost, tigtening it up from the top this much has for me thrown the image out of balance.

Vivaldo Damilano
01-26-2012, 07:26 AM
I also like the original and it works nicely for me. The only thing that I would change is the comp as mark suggested TFS:cheers::cheers:

Steve Kaluski
01-26-2012, 07:36 AM
Hi Brendon, not sure what you worked from on the RP, but the IQ has certainly dropped. Don't have an issue with the crop, it's the detail, opening the eye up in Curves, reducing the blacks does help as the depth of black is too strong as presented, likewise the Saturation. I think you have the detail, it just needs some refinement in PP to bring the IQ out

Brendon Cremer
01-27-2012, 01:39 AM
Thank very much guys. Steve thanks for the advice, i did cheat a little on this RP as i worked off the already cropped version no the original:tinysmile_shy_t: I will try changing the comp to placing the eye higher up in the frame and see how it looks. Something i find interesting is no one has notices the eye is upside down, the lion was lion on his back, hens the original comp with the eye at the bottom.:w3

Steve Kaluski
01-27-2012, 02:36 AM
Something i find interesting is no one has notices the eye is upside down

Proves it can work both ways. :bg3:

Before you do any more, look at the image in Levels, both sides are clipped, more so on the Blacks, you might like to revisit the RAW and adjust?

Harshad Barve
02-22-2012, 02:06 AM
first re post for me , terrific work
TFS