PDA

View Full Version : Steamy Falls

Mario Moreno
01-25-2012, 01:00 PM
The mighty Victoria Falls at sunset as seen from the Zambian side. The goal was to capture the massive amount of water falling with as much detail as possible and the golden light reflected on the spray. I obviously had to sacrifice the sky in the top right hand corner which is completely overexposed.

EOS 5D MKII - EF 24-70mm f2.8 USM - 1/320 sec at f8.0 - ISO 160

Tonal corrections done in Lightroom

Jerry van Dijk
01-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Very nice impressionistic image of the falls. I find the overexposed area a bit overpowering. You might consider cropping from the top, just above the yellow line above the tree.

Morkel Erasmus
01-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Welcome to the Landscapes forum too, Mario!
I love the mood here. I have to agree with Jerry's assessment, though...
Here is a crop suggestion. I also applied a luminosity mask toning down highlights by about 30%. I hope you don't mind, Mario :w3

Mario Moreno
01-25-2012, 10:58 PM
Nicely suggested and nicely done ....... definitely going to take it to the next level here

Matt Fragale
01-26-2012, 08:17 AM
I like the idea of this photo also, but agree that the sky is too blown out to be effective. I don't know very much about the practical use of HDR, but this seems like a photo that HDR was made for. Would that work or is the moving water too much for HDR to deal with? Might be an opportunity if you can get back there and make that same photo, except bracketed for HDR.

Mario Moreno
01-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Thanks Matt for the comment. I think Morkel's suggestion is the way to go. A slight crop solves the problem.

Arthur Morris
01-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Good suggestion by Jerry and execution by the Mork-man. A true HDR would not work with the moving water. But, simply creating a very dark exposure after the fact and grabbing the sky would get you there. How in the world does that tree (or bush?) survive???

Andrew McLachlan
01-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Hi Mario, you chose the right shutter speed to capture the size of this waterfall nicely. Morkel's repost works better for me.

Brendan Dozier
01-26-2012, 11:14 PM
Nice dramatic waterfall capture and composition, Mario. Good suggestions, and repost looks good.

Mario Moreno
01-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks for the feedback Arthur ........ Morkel did solve the situation nicely. Thanks again for that Morkel. About the little tree .... I asked myself the same thing and have no idea how it manages to hold on to the edge with the tremendous amount of water that is flowing over it. Nature can be very wise ......

Hilary Hann
01-27-2012, 06:14 AM
This is beautiful Mario and Morkel's crop is just what was needed. Really lovely.

Mario Moreno
01-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Thank You all for your comments. They have been helpful

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Mario,

i agree, a blend would be a good option here. Morkel's crop did the trick with this image.