PDA

View Full Version : The Lioness

Mario Moreno
01-25-2012, 12:00 PM
Portrait of a Lioness ( Panthera Leo ). Image captured in Kruger National Park, South Africa.

EOS 5D MKII - EF 300mm f2.8 + 2.0x - 1/125 sec at f5.6 - ISO 200

Image converted in Silver Efex Pro and toned in Lightroom

Morkel Erasmus
01-25-2012, 04:03 PM
A big welcome here Mario. I am looking forward to seeing more of your images displayed here. I am sure you are going to enjoy the ride... :5
Remember, don't hesitate to ask if anything is unclear...

As for the image:
I like the intent gaze and the conversion applied. The toning might work better as a 'true sepia' but that is a personal taste thing.
I like the lighter tones around her head, accentuating it. Maybe try and bring up the shadows in the nostrils as I feel it could use a little more detail there?
Also - maybe add another round of slight sharpening only to the face? :t3

Morkel Erasmus
01-25-2012, 04:27 PM
I took the liberty of playing with the suggestions I made in the previous post. Hope you don't mind...what do you think? :e3

Roman Kurywczak
01-25-2012, 04:53 PM
Hey Mario,
I like the pose too but prefer the tweaks that Morkel added. Welcome ot the forums!

Rachel Hollander
01-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Mario - welcome. A nice portrait to start out and Morkel's tweaks take it up a notch. Looking forward to seeing more of your images.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
01-25-2012, 07:38 PM
Welcome Mario!
Can only echo the above comments, with Morkel's sharpening RP an improvement.
TFS

Mario Moreno
01-25-2012, 10:55 PM
You did bring the nostrils out nicely ....... WELL Done ! will do it on the original file
Thanks Morkel

Ken Watkins
01-25-2012, 11:40 PM
Welcome Mario,

You will find it "interesting" here:w3

You will also not know that B&W is not my favourite form, I would like to see the colour version.

Hilary Hann
01-26-2012, 01:56 AM
Mario, welcome and very nice first post. I like the tweaks which Morkel has demonstrated. A portrait with lots of potential and very nice IQ.

Steve Kaluski
01-27-2012, 04:00 AM
Hi Mario and a belated Welcome.

The image is nicely composed, with the face looking directly to the viewer, to engage them. Like the idea of changing the medium and Morkels slight enhancements have certainly brought out more character out of the image. Lifting the Blacks in the nose & gums has also just brought out a hint more detail to, giving more subtle form. Would suggest upping the ISO next time to give yourself more shutter speed to.

TFS
Steve

Harshad Barve
02-22-2012, 02:04 AM
Great image indeed , excellent treatment
TFS

PS , Better suited in OOTB ;)