PDA

View Full Version : Sacred Kingfisher with Hopper

John Cooper
04-09-2008, 04:09 AM
Canon EOS 3, Canon 100-300 F5.6L, ISO 100, natural light with fill flash, 1/125 F11, Hide/Tripod

David Steele
04-09-2008, 04:27 AM
I like this John and it provides an excellent side view of the kingfisher's features. It is a little bright on my screen and I wouldn't be surprised if you receive some comments about the harshness of the light. Also, I wonder if it wouldn't help to shave a bit off the base of the photo?

Simon Bennett
04-09-2008, 05:12 AM
Well done getting the bird with prey, sharp, but perhaps needs a bit more space on the left.

Philip Lombard
04-09-2008, 05:30 AM
I love these guys and know how hard it is to get a good shot. There are a few thing you can do to make it pop a little more. First use highlight and shadow and adjust it there. then burn in at a low opascity the neck area, there is detail there. Then mask the eye and lighten it a little. It will that will take care of the harshness. it wont be perfect but it will give you a nice shot. My opinion LOL

Gus Cobos
04-09-2008, 06:44 AM
Very nice composition John, Love the colors on your bird and the action...Might want to give tis little guy some more room on the left of the frame...:D

Jim Poor
04-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Nice to get one of these guys close up. I'll echo just about everything said above and add that a boost in the blacks wouldn't hurt. I might also work on the dark area above the bird's head.

Alfred Forns
04-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Great comments and David in right on !!! This is my nemesis bird and would love having this exact image !!!

Agree on the space to the rear and crop from bottom Wouldn't mind seeing more space at the top The crop is just a mater of personal taste. Light was a bit harsh on the bird and there is little detail in the bright area Might try duplicating a layer and multiplying Should bring detail.

Ian Colley
04-10-2008, 04:54 AM
Hi John, a difficult bird to photograph and a plus getting it with prey. Agree with comments above, however I like the longer perch it gives the bird a little more room at the bottom.