PDA

View Full Version : Frost

Steve Maxson
01-23-2012, 09:20 PM
I thought I'd post something seasonal. We finally got some below zero(F) weather here and frost crystals formed on the windows of my unheated sunroom creating many photo possibilities. 5D, MP-E 65mm, 1.3 sec, f/8, ISO 100, tripod, mirror lock, cable release, RRS focus rail. RAW file processed in CS5 to enhance contrast and further adjusted in NIK Color Effects Pro 4. I cleaned up a number of dust specs and tiny frost crystals on the glass. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

christopher galeski
01-24-2012, 06:16 AM
very nice image Steve,like the black BG,what are those things at the top of the fern,are they what you have used to hold the fern?thanks and welldone.

Steve Maxson
01-24-2012, 10:35 AM
very nice image Steve,like the black BG,what are those things at the top of the fern,are they what you have used to hold the fern?thanks and welldone.

Hi Christopher. Thanks for your comment. Just to be clear, this is a frost crystal on window glass - it just happens to resemble a fern. The things you mention at the top are simply a different "style" of crystal. :S3:

OvidiuCavasdan
01-24-2012, 11:04 AM
I like this a lot! Wery well composed, beautiful ice structure and details. The black BG makes this even more impressive! Excellent!

Julie Kenward
01-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Wowee! You got some great structure here with lots of detail and wall-to-wall crispness, Steve! The crystal on black is perfect and the composition is outstanding!

Doug Zoern
01-24-2012, 10:34 PM
Stunning. Simple well balanced composition.

christopher galeski
01-25-2012, 02:07 AM
Thanks for your reply Steve,I should have read your thread properly.

Ken Childs
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
I was wondering when you would be getting some new sun room frost pictures. :bg3:
The shots you posted last year were good but I think this is by far the best frost shot you've posted so far....the pattern looks fantastic and your comp couldn't be any better. Your clean up work takes this one way over the top! Very well done! :cheers:

Jerry van Dijk
01-25-2012, 03:49 PM
Hi Steve, the distribution of the crystals in the frame gives a very pleasing composition with some nice leading lines to guide the eye around the frame. What's your magnification here?

Brendan Dozier
01-27-2012, 11:33 PM
Very cool frost composition, Steve. Love the interesting fine details, nicely processed, and looks great against pure black. Well done!

Steve Maxson
01-29-2012, 01:50 PM
Thanks for your comments everyone! :S3:

Jerry - I didn't record the magnification, but I would say this is about 2X.

Bob Miller
01-30-2012, 07:18 PM
Steve...Its been all been said....but i will echo everyone else.....beautiful!......I would hang this one!

Cheryl Arena Molennor
02-04-2012, 07:46 PM
None of that around here but i would welcome it for a day or so to get a shot like this.