PDA

View Full Version : Maluti Mountain Vista

Morkel Erasmus
01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
After rain and mist had shrouded this view from our log cabin in the Maluti mountains for 3 days, it finally broke late on the 3rd afternoon, affording me an opportunity to (try to) capture the splendour of this vista on camera.

Techs:
Canon 7D with 10-22mm USM @ 10mm
f16 @ ISO-100

Bob Miller
01-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Hi Morkel.....This image really draws my eye nicely into the misty distance. Nice work!

Hilary Hann
01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Lovely colours in this landscape Morkel and I do like the way the lines of the valley and light lead the eye through the image on a diagonal (I like diagonal lines in images!). The rocks especially have nice detail and tone.

Brendan Dozier
01-23-2012, 10:37 PM
Wonderful color and open landscape scene, Morkel. Like the light and lines, there is a nice balance between the brighter FG on rt and the shaded hill on the lft., and eye flows nicely down to the distant hills. The grooves in the hill make me think of that term "re-entrant" from doing orienteering in the past. Nice work, sir!

Don Railton
01-23-2012, 11:11 PM
Well done Morkel..!

I like the balance you have captured here, you have warm foreground colour against cool distance, lots of light vs shade, interest in the foreground as well as the distance and nice leading line from what is a magnificent view...

DON

Morkel Erasmus
01-24-2012, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the kind comments, folks. It's a place I am definitely going to visit again! :tinysmile_shy_t:

Matt Fragale
01-24-2012, 09:30 PM
What a fantastic spot! Excellent photo, Morkel! I have a question though... that says that it was shot with a Canon and it says in your avatar that you are a member of Nikon Professional Services. Won't the Nikon police show up at your door and confiscate all your non-regulation gear? lol

Morkel Erasmus
01-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Thanks Matt! :S3:

that says that it was shot with a Canon and it says in your avatar that you are a member of Nikon Professional Services. Won't the Nikon police show up at your door and confiscate all your non-regulation gear? lol

this image was captured about 3 months before I made a wholesale switch to the dark side - I have many photos in my archive that were still taken with the 7D that I might yet post :w3

Craig Kerr
01-25-2012, 08:22 AM
Like the view and the image even more :-) Mountain retreat @ Golden Gate ??

Jerry van Dijk
01-25-2012, 03:37 PM
Stunning view. I like that it's still a bit hazy. All strong points of the image have already been pointed out. Well done!

Morkel Erasmus
01-25-2012, 03:57 PM
Like the view and the image even more :-) Mountain retreat @ Golden Gate ??

Yep - spot on Craig. Ever stayed there?

Jay Gould
01-25-2012, 04:28 PM
MorkMan, lovely!!

Have you got a little bit more room on the RHS; how much crop? If I were mine I wouldn't want the yellow plant on the rock against the RHS. I would either remove it or hopefully crop wider.

BTW, congrats on the Mod Hat; I missed the announcement.

Morkel Erasmus
01-25-2012, 04:42 PM
Thanks Jay...both for your comments and your congratulatory wishes. I hope I can add as much to this forum as my predecessors did...:Whoa!:

This image is full frame from side to side and top to bottom. In hindsight I wish I'd composed a bit wider on the RHS...but the slope I was on is VERY steep so I held onto whatever solid position I could find as the hillside is "unobstructed" and I would've tumbled down for many hundreds of meters before coming to an abrupt halt at the bottom in a shallow river :w3

Jay Gould
01-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Mate, clone out the one yellow line!

P.S.: I know you will not!!

Morkel Erasmus
01-25-2012, 05:46 PM
Mate, clone out the one yellow line!

P.S.: I know you will not!!

Which line?? :e3
And what do you know I "will not"? :e3 (sorry - might be my tired brain?)

Jay Gould
01-25-2012, 06:41 PM
The yellow piece of plant on the top rock in thevRH edge.

Craig Kerr
01-26-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Morkel - Yes, my wife and I stayed there one very cold winter weekend - The mountains turn a wonderful golden colour, from the dry brown grass.
Need to visit in Autumn, but in fairness, any time will work :-)

Arthur Morris
01-26-2012, 05:48 PM
A nicely designed image with some nice clouds. The top of that tree is a bit scraggly....

Andrew McLachlan
01-26-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi Morkel, a little late to the party but I really like the tones in this image and the way the valley cuts diagonally through the image to take us into the distance. Nice capture.

Matt Fragale
01-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks Matt! :S3:

this image was captured about 3 months before I made a wholesale switch to the dark side - I have many photos in my archive that were still taken with the 7D that I might yet post :w3

Your transition to the dark side seems to be working for you... but this is also good. So I guess BOTH are capable of lovely photographs, eh? Good to know! I'm sure there are those in the world that would be doubtful. I will send them to you. lol

Morkel Erasmus
01-27-2012, 03:36 AM
Thanks Craig, Artie (nice to see you here!), Andrew and Matt for your comments. :5
Craig - a lovely place and I would love to go again. Maybe in winter when there might be some snow...?

Your transition to the dark side seems to be working for you... but this is also good. So I guess BOTH are capable of lovely photographs, eh? Good to know! I'm sure there are those in the world that would be doubtful. I will send them to you. lol

Matt - certainly both brands are capable tools. I always say it's the monkey behind the viewfinder that makes the image :w3. However, I would be lying if I made little of the effect the "switch" has had on my photography, particularly since I can now shoot comfortably in much less light and not worry about noise.

Robert Amoruso
01-30-2012, 02:48 PM
Hi Morkel,

I thought I had commented on this one before leaving for the space coast festival. In any event, I agree with comments above. Great lines lead the viewer right into the image.