PDA

View Full Version : Best kit for 1000$

P-A. Fortin
01-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah I know, I had the same reaction first: 1000$ is not enough.

But here's the situation: I have a friend whose girlfriend is interested in bird photography due to my bad influence. She currently has a not-so-good point and shoot camera with a 12x zoom and not much knowledge of the "techs" of photography yet. But she has the interest and is starting to put some time into it.

My friend would like to get her a camera as a gift when she completes her master's degree, but he has a limited budget of ~1000$ (CAN) and asked me for advice. My first reaction was to think that it made no sense, that my 60D/100-400 combo was just the minimal limit that allowed to make images just above the level of "awful" and that it would be a waste of money otherwise.

Then I calmed down and realized that I might have turned a bit rough in my critics of images/gear over the last year :bg3:

I started to think and look around. It seems obvious to me that, considering her current skills, putting a 60D/7D-like body in her hands would probably be a waste and might in fact be so complicated that it might scare her away. Might not be a good starting point. It also seemed obvious to me that lenses of 400mm+ were out of question due to the budget limit.

So I wondered about what would be, taking budget into account, the best possible kit that might allow her to learn and work for a few years without reaching the limits too quickly, which might result into more frustration than fun.

At this point, I was leaning toward the Canon T2i/550D combined with the Tamron 70-300mm. I considered the Canon 70-300 (not the L version), but the price is significantly higher than the Tamron, and the reviews I have read lead me to believe that she would not notice much difference anyway. I also considered the Nikon version, but the comments I read were that the AF speed was lower than the other 2 lenses. Image quality difference, she might not notice. AF speed however is something she would likely notice quickly so I would put that as a main spec to look for.

If anyone has comments on this possible combo, other possible options, experience with this equipment, etc... please share. I'd like to suggest my friend something that would at least last a few years, while having a learning curve that would not be too harsh and yet allow to make some decent photos/souvenirs (no publishing in sight here obviously :))

Thanks.

Chris Ober
01-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Why not cheaper but still perfectly functional older model, used gear?
-

P-A. Fortin
01-23-2012, 09:19 AM
I considered it, but I have not yet found items with a price difference significant enough to fit within the 1k budget.

What I mean there is that I have not seen 400mm lenses with price around 600-700$ (I am trying to put the most emphasis on the lens since it is likely to be the item that would last longer). For the body however there might be some options. I could probably suggest a used 40D around 400$, but would the benefit be very significant compared to a new T2i, considering the target user?

Chris Ober
01-23-2012, 09:26 AM
Don't overlook other manufacturers (Nikon) and third-party lenses.

I would get a 40D over a T2i. Menu functions, quick control dial, and better build are reasons enough I think.

http://www.keh.com
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10
http://www.pixtus.com/forum/buy-sell/

P-A. Fortin
01-23-2012, 11:19 AM
Thanks for your input.

Any suggestion for a lens?

Chris Korman
01-23-2012, 04:21 PM
Perhaps consider the Panasonic G3 with a Panasonic 100-300 OIS which is equivalent to a 200-600 mm lens. I think the total cost will be around $1100. Take a look here if you are interested in someone's use on safari: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/essays/on_safari.shtml

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-23-2012, 06:24 PM
Hi, used 40D is a good idea. Rather than jumping into bird photography, she might be better off learning basic SLR photography(composition, exposure, dof control,metering patterns etc.) with smaller gear...and then slowly build the gear towards that goal of bird photography.

A used non-IS 70-200f4 comes to mind as a good starter short tele-zoom lens that has excellent IQ, is light and versatile. She can add a 1.4x later to get some more reach. Use that gear to learn and later sell( without losing much money), add some more funds and then go for a 100-400 or a 400f5.6.

P-A. Fortin
01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I have to admit that I did not consider any option under 300mm, but considering that she could sell it later without losing much money (anyway, it is going to be my friend's money so I won't care and she won't either :D ), it might be indeed an interesting learning option. Although the price is similar to the 70-300 (non-L), there would be a significant gain in IQ. Worthy option to keep in mind.

Alan Stankevitz
01-23-2012, 07:29 PM
I'd go for a used Canon 400mm f/5.6 and then figure out maybe a cheap, used body. An excellent lens is an excellent investment and especially if you can find a good, used 400mm, that lens will be one she will keep for a long time. Well worth the $$$. It will probably end up costing a wee bit more than $1k, but I don't know anyone who has ever regretted owing that lens.

Alan

Roger Clark
01-23-2012, 08:54 PM
P-A,
This thread is an appropriate follow-on to the 7D-1D4 noise thread. First: body. Here is a situation where the small pixels of a T2i help with reach. The 40D has 5.7 micron pixels just like the 1D4. The T2i has 4.3 micron pixels like the 7D. So you get 1.33x more reach. So a 300 mm lens on the T2i gives the same pixels on subject as a 400 mm lens on a 40D. Check for packages that have a T2i, kit lens and a zoom lens. Also check for used T2i. The T2i has a newer sensor (pretty much same as the 7D) so will be more efficient delivering better S/N than a 40D. Or does Tamron or Sigma have a 300 f/4? Perhaps a used one?

Roger

P-A. Fortin
01-23-2012, 10:14 PM
If I found a rather cheap 400mm, I might actually consider keeping it for myself :bg3: But it is be the #1 option I would recommend to my friend, even if out of his price range.

Interesting fact about the T2i. I would have considered both as just "1.6x cameras" without looking up for pixel size information. Reach is definitely something she will be annoyed with, so better try to minimize the impact. Thanks for the info.

However I thought the AF system of the 40D was slightly better than the T2i? Focus speed is another spec I try to maximize.

A quick look did not allow me to find any 300 f/4 from Sigma/Tamron. In the 300mm range, seems like it would be between the Canon (non-L) and the Tamron 70-300 to remain in the target price range.

Alan Stankevitz
01-23-2012, 11:04 PM
You can usually find a good, used 400mm f/5.6 on Fred Miranda's buy/sell board for $900-$1,000.