PDA

View Full Version : About Image copyright ?

Patrick Jeudy
04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Hello guys.I'm sure people on this Site has there pictures registered, So I have some questions:

I'm getting well over 9 gb of photos to send to be registered at the Library of CongressCopyright Office on 2 DVDs for $45.00. Is this amount of images ok to send ? will they accept 2 DVDs ? Is there a limit on the Anount of DVDs or cds that you'll send in one package..of course not too many but is 5 a too many ?

And also can I simply convert my raw files in to jpeg and send just that, with no editing of the images what so ever, or do I only need to send the final image after it's been edited : color correction/cropping/ ect..) . I have some images that are not edited from RAW, I wanted to simply convert them and send them also.

And I posted this on another website but I'll asked it again :

I have a lot of pictures that I might have to change my copyright notice.I used to wtite them in the wrong order.Can I leave them as is (patrick jeudy © 2008 ) the way I used to write it.
Or the only way that it is a valid copyright notice is if it's ( © 2008 patrick jeudy ) I know that the normal way is the latter.

Will I void my image as a copyright image if I leave it (patrick jeudy © 2008)
Will, for exemple a court reject my image as authentic if I leave it as (patrick jeudy © 2008)
or it doesn't matter how I put it ? thanks

Ed Cordes
04-08-2008, 09:07 PM
I convert all the images I send to the copyright office to low res jpeg and then burn them to a DVD. I don't think the method of watermark is important. The hard part is filling out the form that lists each image with a name, date of publication and file number. I don't think there is a limit to the number of images you may register at one time.

Doug West
04-08-2008, 09:37 PM
If you want to save $10, sign up for their beta online program...

http://www.copyright.gov/eco/beta-announce.html

I was able to send a couple hundred of jpg files via a zipped file.

Doug

Patrick Jeudy
04-08-2008, 10:04 PM
Got it thanks

Patrick Jeudy
04-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Ed which forM, did you fill out? The form that I have ask nothing about "filling out the form that lists each image with a name, date of publication and file number."

I'm using short form VA.
And my images range from 2005-2008.

Lori A. Cash
04-09-2008, 08:32 AM
I use the Form VA to register my unpublished images. When registering unpublished photos you do not have to fill out the continuation sheet where you have to list the date published, title and etc. The continuation sheet is needed when you are registering published images. I find that registering my images as unpublished is much easier and usually will do so every few months when I have new images. Along with the completed Form VA I send low resolution jpeg images on CD or DVD as well as contact sheets.

Lori A. Cash
04-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Thought I should clarify that when I register my images as unpublished they are indeed unpublished. I register my images before publishing them to my website/internet or submitting for publication.

The forms you have to fill out depends on whether your images that you want to register have been published or not.

Also, the use of the copyright notice is optional for works first published on or after March 1, 1989.

Patrick Jeudy
04-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Nice ! Thanks Lori !