PDA

View Full Version : Foggy Sunrise / Still Playing with DAP

John Storjohann
01-21-2012, 09:40 AM
This was taken at the Riverlands Migratory Wetlands about four weeks ago. I was out on a shoot with Jay and while we both worked this scene at sunrise, we both had very different takes on it. RAW image processed in LR; applied low opacity layers of NIK Tonal Contrast and Detail Extractor and then brought the image into DAP. Applied the Realism effect after tweaking the settings a bit; save it as a PSD and tweaked the layer opacity once back into PS. I know sunrises/sunsets can be an overwrought subject matter...but for some reason, for the first time in a LONG time, I find myself really drawn to them. :e3

Judy Howle
01-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Wow, John, that is gorgeous! The layers of color, the fog and the DAP filtering are just perfect!

denise ippolito
01-21-2012, 11:37 AM
John, I am loving your subtle use of the DAP filter. Beautiful composition and colors. I might wish for a teeny sliver more on top. I love the hint of a reflection- it really helps set the mood.

Indranil Sircar
01-21-2012, 12:26 PM
John, this is awesome! Love the composition; the tonal range is just fantastic as is your processing! Wonderful vision and execution!

Nancy Bell
01-21-2012, 01:21 PM
When the student is ready...the sunrises & sunsets will appear! And with this type of image and processing, John, you are certainly ready for those sunrises & sunsets! The layering of colors is stunning and the image has just enough detail to be intriquing. Super well done!

Bob Miller
01-21-2012, 08:03 PM
Hi John.....The layers of colors in this image are beautiful and the feeling of fog amazing! I am not familiar with the DAP filter but it certainly seems to have worked. What is DAP?

Cheryl Slechta
01-21-2012, 08:33 PM
John, beautifully done - the colors are amazing as the filtering:S3:

John Storjohann
01-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Thank you for viewing and for your comments. Bob, DAP is Dynamic Auto-Painter (http://www.mediachance.com/dap/index.html)...it is a neat bit of kit that allows you to apply various painting styles to your photos. What I am finding is that if you save it as a "Save Special" (saving it a PS file with layers..neat trick!) you have a good bit more flexibility in the outcome of the final image; you can take it back into PS, lower the saturation a bit, lower the opacity and bring back a bit of the original, etc. It's not the speediest app out there, but what it does is unique!

Mitch Carucci
01-22-2012, 05:49 PM
This pic works for me. Great processing!