PDA

View Full Version : Great Spotted Woodpecker (Dendrocopos major)

Jonathan Ashton
01-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Canon 7D Canon 500mm f4 L IS & 1.4TC 1, ISO 320 -0.3 1/1000 f7.1

This male turned up in the back garden after a short absence, I baited the small tree trunk with suet. My next trick will be try to get the bird on a different kind of perch to provide an alternative pose, and preferably retrieving an insect larva of some kind.
I underexposed to avoid blowing the highlights, as it turns out I need not have done so. Having said that I do do a linear burn on the brightest whites just above the eye, I also desaturated the reds at the base of the tail. Initially I had the image a little brighter but idecided this was a better option I felt it showed more detail and it prevented the trunk from being too dominant.
All C & C most welcome.

Randy Stout
01-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Jonathan:

I like the interesting markings on this fellow, good display of this strong grip, his slight angle towards us, the flying suet bits.

The breast and neck feathers seem quite dingy. I just don't know this bird, so perhaps that is correct for him.

The luminosity on the trunk looks good.

I could see a sliver off both the top and the right side.

Cheers

Randy

Dan Behm
01-13-2012, 10:25 PM
Jonathon,
Very nice. details look great on this bird that intrigues me, dont recall seeing one before. As for the crop I believe I would add a smidge out front and remove the same amount from the back. Also a smidge off the top. exposure on the bird looks great to me