PDA

View Full Version : Graduated ND filters

Don Railton
01-13-2012, 07:22 AM
Hi Guys

I am about to spend some cash on Graduated ND filters for Landscape work. I am tossing up whether to buy a couple of circular B+W filters or go to the Cokin X Pro filter system. I am thinking that the Cokin item would give me better opportunity to slide the filters about in the holder to set the gradient edge in the right spot. This seems to be a big advantage with the Cokin system but I am asking for any opinions... I plan to use then with my Zeiss 18mm manual lens (Dia 82mm). I have never used any grad ND filters so any suggestions will be most welcome.

DON

Roger Clark
01-13-2012, 10:00 AM
Hi Don,

I use long rectangular glass filters that fit in the Cokin holder. I used the Cokin gelatin filters for years, but they scratch too easily. But I only use graduated filters with film (4x5). I see little need for graduated filters with digital. I just take 2 exposures and blend them together. Even a single exposure with digital (DSLR) has greater dynamic range than slide film, and even slide film with a graduated filter. If you are really interested, I can find the manufacturer of the filters--the 4x5 gear is packed away and I haven't used it in more than a year.

Roger

Dennis Bishop
01-13-2012, 10:42 AM
. . . I see little need for graduated filters with digital. . .

Agreed. I haven't used my graduated ND filters since I switched from slides to digital over eleven years ago. Roger's mentioned some good alternatives, and there are some other similar ones depending on the tonal range and the amount of motion in the scene. I use multi-exposure HDR imaging if movement in the scene isn't an issue. If it is, using Adobe Camera Raw to make a number of exposures from the same original works pretty well.

Don Lacy
01-13-2012, 05:22 PM
If you decide to go with the filters do not buy the circular ones the graduations starts in the center of the filter and all your horizons will be centered when using the filter. The best rectangular filters are made by Lee, Hitachi, and Sing Ray you might also need to step up to the Lee systems for the 82 mm front thread not sure and you should research that before hand.

Roger Clark
01-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Hi Don,

I use long rectangular glass filters that fit in the Cokin holder. I used the Cokin gelatin filters for years, but they scratch too easily. But I only use graduated filters with film (4x5). I see little need for graduated filters with digital. I just take 2 exposures and blend them together. Even a single exposure with digital (DSLR) has greater dynamic range than slide film, and even slide film with a graduated filter. If you are really interested, I can find the manufacturer of the filters--the 4x5 gear is packed away and I haven't used it in more than a year.

Roger

Hi Don,
Mine are Tiffen, bought many years ago (in the 90s). All glass and about 5 to 6 inches long. If today, I would look for multicoated filters to reduce reflections. Not sure if such things exist. If your landscapes are typically f/8, f/11 and slower on wide angle lenses, then average quality is fine. Only if you use them on large aperture telephoto lenses wide open do you need top quality. I found the Tiffen quite good and they are as good today as the day I bought them. (Compare that to the Cokin gelatins which would usually last only one or two trips before I scratched them.)

Roger

Don Railton
01-13-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the input guys.

I Have blended images before but as Dennise suggests, motion in the image is the only problem really. I live close to the sea and waves will often feature in images I have planned, however I will reassess what else I am likely to shoot and whether the cash burn is justified. I need plenty of other gear also :S3:. If I do decide to spend on filters, I will go the rectangular route and look for filters other than the gelatins. (thank you Roger).. I have been given the opportunity to borrow a B+W circular grad ND (502?) which I think will reinforce my thoughts.

thanks again

DON