PDA

View Full Version : Morning Wave

Brendan Dozier
01-13-2012, 12:13 AM
Experimented with different settings and liked how this one turned out. Liked how light is hitting it, blur and spray. Rotation, crop, CS5, some levels & color balance adjustment, dodging & burn.

7D, EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +2.0x, tripod
1/4
ISO 100

Robert Amoruso
01-13-2012, 09:12 PM
Brendan,

Confused on the f/stop. 51.0?

If you did not know, I create images like this a lot, so I really love this one. Pleasing texture to the water. I like the band of tan sky. Good transition of the wave from the break in left to the curl on right. Totally up to you, but you might want to clone out the few specular highlights in the break.

I would suggest a strong pano crop as an alternative to consider. ROT with the middle horizontal centered around the break. I don't think that is better then what your presented, just a different look with its own merits.

Brendan Dozier
01-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Thanks Robert, yeah I have no idea about that f stop either, but I double checked it and thats what it said! :bg3: This was a bit of puzzle regarding crop, just tried to keep it from being too centered.

Morkel Erasmus
01-20-2012, 04:21 AM
I really like this Brendan. Appealling image and evokes a lot of emotion for me (which is what photography should do, in the end...)!

Dave Leroy
01-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Lovely photo Brendan. I really like the flow of the water, wave and wind. Light is lovely as well.
I might be tempted to take a bit off bottom, but if so not much and all personal preference anyway.

Very well done.

I am wondering if you were in Tv mode and with lens and 2XTC that is the correct aperture?

Brendan Dozier
01-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Thanks Morkel and Dave, much appreciated.

I agree, Morkel, photos can be wonderful food for the soul. :S3:

Here's a repost. I removed the specular highlights on rt side of wave, lightened and reduced yellow in sky, and cropped some off the bottom.

I am wondering if you were in Tv mode and with lens and 2XTC that is the correct aperture?

Good call, Dave. I just went back and checked my RAW file data. It was in the Tv mode. I'm always in manual, so probably slipped into Tv as I fumbled with my camera.

Bob Miller
01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Hi Brendan....Your composition is just right and the light on the breakers is lovely! Nice work!

Brendan Dozier
01-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks, Bob, much appreciated!

Nick Palmieri
01-23-2012, 08:05 AM
This is very cool. I love the effect on the water and you caught it at the perfect time. I am not thrilled with the strip of sky but think it balances the image a bit. TFS

Hilary Hann
01-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Brendan, I just love what you have created here, rocks my boat completely. Well done.

Steve Uffman
01-23-2012, 09:38 PM
Brendan, I had to send my 7D in for service awhile back. I had them install the lock which has really helped. Bit pricey to do but I am very happy I did it. Before I continually was getting the dial moved.

Also, after seeing the sharpness of your bird images, I re-calibrated my camera and lens. I had a pretty big front focus issue. Post correction, I now am a bit closer to your standard sharpness. So thanks for the help

Brendan Dozier
01-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks Nick, Hilary, and Steve.

Steve, that lock does sound like a good idea as I do often bumped that mode wheel out of place.

Arthur Morris
01-28-2012, 10:43 PM
I actually prefer the original composition. And I love the wave at 1/4 sec., the soft water and light, and the image design.