PDA

View Full Version : Morning stare

Mark Wiseman
01-12-2012, 01:57 PM
These cubs were found playing in the road early one morning on my most recent trip to the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park. I was first out of camp and had these cubs, five in total and two lionesses to myself for over an hour before they moved off. The morning light was beautiful and in 13 days saw more than 63 lion, all different individuals.
Camera details.
Nikon D3s
Nikon 600mm f4
Manual focus mode
Auto ISO 1600
Aperture f8
Shutter speed 1/1000
Image processed in Lightoom 3 and CS5 and on a 15" MBP.
Any comment and critiques welcome. The image may need further work as I am in Cape Town and will check for further changes when I get back to the UK.
Best wishes, Mark.
:5:cheers:

Morkel Erasmus
01-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Got to love the light and the quality of these kind of sightings, Mark. Kgalagadi sure is special.
The image has the feeling of having been treated with noise reduction all over, in that there's not the fine detail I would expect on the lions given the light and even the ISO setting...:e3
I know how they love the road...in an ideal world the road without tread marks would have made it seem less like a road...:S3:
Would be interested in your proper rework once you get home.

Mark Wiseman
01-12-2012, 03:19 PM
Thanks Morkel for the reply.
You are spot on and the rework at home will show an improvement. I am truly blessed with what i have seen and taken in the KTP. It is a park that needs our attention and care as the area is so sensitive to the over usage of the artesian well source.
I will post the re worked image as soon as I get back to the UK.
Best wishes, Mark.
:5:cheers:

Harshad Barve
01-12-2012, 09:03 PM
great sighting and image , agreed with Morkel here
TFS

Brendan Dozier
01-13-2012, 01:01 AM
Wonderful capture, Mark, love the light & eye contact and expressions of cubs.

Tom Graham
01-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Like it a lot. As others said, you got three cubs looking at camera with faces in sun light. Mom behind looking away and blurred adds to it. Might crop a bit from right side, centering the group works for me. Color to o me looks a bit cool, I'd try warming color temp a bit.
Tom

Robert Amoruso
01-13-2012, 08:57 PM
Mark,

In a rework, I would reduce yellow and red saturation.

Tom Graham
01-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Oh my, I would not reduce red yellow but increase!!! Sure would be interesting to compare monitors!!!
Here is after PS adjusted with Color Balance at plus 18 red and plus 18 yellow.

Tom

Pieter de Waal
01-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Hi Mark, nice grouping and eye contact with the cubs. Wonderful to see so many lions in Kgalagadi, I have never been that fortunate and look forward to some more from your Kgalagadi trip.

Mark Wiseman
01-21-2012, 06:42 AM
Hi all, this was my repost before the crash. I agree with Tom's take on the image as it is more lifelike.
Best wishes,
Mark