PDA

View Full Version : Engine coming out of tunnel

allanrube
01-12-2012, 01:33 PM
I shot this steam train as it was emerging from a tunnel. The track were curving and I like the "slant." I did not try to even it. D3X with 24-120 f/4 at 86mm ISO 500 1/400 at f/4 107190

Roger Clark
01-12-2012, 02:42 PM
Allan
Way cool image! I would rotate it counter clockwise.

Roger

allanrube
01-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Forgive the spelling in the title. It is past the time I can edit it.

I left the rotation. The train is coming out of a tunnel and the tracks are curving to the right (left if you were on the train.) I like the feeling given by the off rotation (?).

Grady Weed
01-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Forgive the spelling in the title. It is past the time I can edit it.

I left the rotation. The train is coming out of a tunnel and the tracks are curving to the right (left if you were on the train.) I like the feeling given by the off rotation (?).

I agree with Allen, leave it as is. Perfect! Love the look of leaning in the curve.

Brendan Dozier
01-12-2012, 11:53 PM
Very cool image, Alan, love the billows of smoke. Nice timing and exposure.

Robert Amoruso
01-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Allan,

I fixed the title for you. :S3:

Perfect as is. The slant of the track is quite visible so no mystery the train is tilted into the turn. In any event, curves are banked into the turn by design so the tilt meets viewer's expectations.

Steve Uffman
01-13-2012, 09:23 PM
ditto on the image. Very cool and powerful image

Matt Fragale
01-18-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm not sure that I'm qualified to say much of anything as far as the technical aspects of most of the photos here, but I definitely dig this photo. I also like the slight angle of the engine coming around the corner. It gives it a bit of a crazy, out of control roller coaster feel. Definitely has a very powerful vibe to it. Really awesome.

Bob Miller
01-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Allan...You have a real winner here! Congratulations!

allanrube
01-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Thanks for all the comments.

Jerry van Dijk
01-23-2012, 03:38 PM
HI Allan, just restoring (and adding on:S3:) my earlier response which was lost in the recent crash.
Very powerful image! I'd get rid of the fence that's showing in the UL corner through the smoke and try some extra NR on the smoke (there is some noise in the shadows). I think your composition could have been even stronger if the engine wasn't that centered. If you have some more room (or is this full frame?), I'd crop some of the left and add some on the right. In that case, the engine is a little off centered and you would have more of the leading line of the curved tracks. But its already great as presented. Well done!

Morkel Erasmus
01-23-2012, 04:04 PM
missed this one - very nice image Allan! I've not seen a steam loco like this in a while...

Arthur Morris
01-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Love the feeling of speed that results from the slant. I'd have loved this one even more if you had zoom out quite a bit more so that we could see the upper part of the smoke plume at the top. I feel cheated there.

robkipp
02-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Quite a dramatic and action print with titled engine and puffs of smoke and steam. Great capture Allan, but I must say and didn't think about it until Artie brought it up, sowing top puffs of smoke would have been nice. Overall, a strong image.
Rob Kipp

allanrube
02-08-2012, 01:23 PM
I was not able to zoom out. Doing so would have given a bit more smoke on the top but it also would have shown some sky, trees, and the outside of the tunnel - things I wanted out of the image. How much, I cannot say as I am not at home this month and that is where my original file is.