PDA

View Full Version : Rhino Charge..

v.p.nurdeen
01-10-2012, 04:53 AM
Rhino charging at our safari jeep. Made this image in Kaziranga, Assam India in 2008 when I had entry level photo gear :S3: but I have to narrate the story behind the image which is quiet amazing.
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 170-500
Aperture: f/6.3
Shutters: 1/400
Speed: ISO 400

RHINO CHARGE AT KAZIRANGA!!

This is a once in a lifetime image for me.

The story behind the image…

Shiva my friend and I were on an evening safari at Kaziranga when we stopped for some elephant images by the water. As we proceeded forward we came to a slight inclination at the top of which, we spotted a rhino peeping out of the bushes. We stopped the jeep at the bottom of the inclination hoping to make some images while it crosses the road. We couldn’t believe our luck when it turned and faced us. So we began clicking furiously as it came slowly towards the jeep. But to our utter surprise it changed momentum and started running towards us. I immediately suggested to the driver that we reverse the jeep but instead of doing so he began opening and closing the door with a loud bang to scare the animal away. The rhino was on a determined charge and at the last moment it veered away from us to the left side and we thought the danger had passed. But to our astonishment it swerved to face the side of the jeep and charged again. At this point, the driver was furiously banging his side of the door, the naturalist sitting on his left was calmly recording the scene on his mobile phone and Siva was bravely making images of the action. As for me, I dropped my camera onto the seat of the jeep and held on to the safety bar hoping not be flung out of the vehicle when the rhino hit. Fortunately, it changed its mind and ran across the road right in front of the jeep. That’s when I grabbed the camera and resumed clicking.
This is one adventure I won’t forget for a long time and one that I hope to narrate to my grandchildren. (Right now I have just one) :bg3:

VPN.

Nick Palmieri
01-10-2012, 08:30 AM
That must have been an experience of a lifetime! Amazing that you were able to capture anything at a time like this. TFS

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2012, 09:16 AM
Hi VPN, looking good. Good choice to include the narration as it puts the whole image into context.

I like the setting and muted colours, however I am not too keen on the central position in a landscape format, perhaps a vertical format might have worked better, or just moving the camera slight to the left or right might have offered a better composition? However I fully appreciate that time was not on your side and just went for the opportunity of the shot, well done.

I am not sure if this helps but:
Moved the RH slider in on Levels to say 240 (figures personal choice)
Colour balance +7 Blue
Duplicated the original layer and added a slight amount of Highlight/Shadow & masked the area treated (Rhino)
Applied some linear Curves to the BGK
Applied a little more USM to the Rhino
Job done

Think it just gives a slightly cleaner look, WDYT?

TFS
Steve

v.p.nurdeen
01-10-2012, 09:35 AM
Hi Steve,
A big thank you for you suggestions in PP but moving the camera was not an option because I could just manage to hang in there make this image in all that excitement :S3: I am posting the image you reworked.
VPN

Steve Kaluski
01-10-2012, 09:53 AM
I fully understand VPN on getting the image and you did a good job under the circumstances.

As I said, not sure if it's an improvement, WDYT?

cheers
Steve

v.p.nurdeen
01-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi Steve,
let see what the rest of the gang say :S3: My opinion is that I sould send the Raw image to you and see what best you can do to improve my image :S3:
VPN

Tom Graham
01-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Steve's rework definite improvement. The increase in contrast (RH slider to 240) and all, makes it look like in soft sun and shadow as appears to have been, pops it a bit Sharpening looks good to me also.
Anyway, very nice photo overall, especially like the low perspective. Like the road as lead line with no grass/bush obstructing rhino works good, even if "hand-of-man". I've never been charged by a rhino, been mock charged by eles a few times and that's exciting.
Tom

gail bisson
01-10-2012, 04:57 PM
Steve's post really makes this image pop. What an incredible opportunity VPN. I normally dislike +++pictures of animals on roads but this road draws the eye nicely to the hippo. I really like the muted light, colors and tones as well. You did good!!:S3:
Gail

Rachel Hollander
01-10-2012, 10:12 PM
Well done to get the image and a good story. Steve's repost is an improvement imho. I too like the colors and low pov.

TFS,
Rachel

dankearl
01-10-2012, 11:59 PM
Nice photo and great story. Thanks for sharing.

Grant Atkinson
01-11-2012, 03:00 PM
Super rhino shot VPN, and I like the forest background. If it were mine I might try crop a little off the left side and a corresponding amount off the bottom, with the idea to get it a bit less central. Very nice feel to the image. Good work in hard circumstances.
cheers
Grant

Morkel Erasmus
01-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I quite like the central placement here. It adds to the "imposing presence" of the rhino. :Whoa!:
I like the way Steve's repost has brightened it up and added some oomph.