PDA

View Full Version : Descent into the Spiritual World

Michael Pancier
04-08-2008, 08:48 AM
I used my Pansonic Lumix P&S on this shot at Lower Antelope Canyon. Most folks ignore this place but frankly I think it's better than upper antelope canyon (especially with the lighting) and no buses of tourists. On my visit, there were very few people there and you pretty much have it all to yourself. It's much longer than upper antelope and gets very narrow at times.

What's cool is that to get into lower antelope, you have to descend through a narrow opening and go down this ladder into the canyon. And then that's where the fun begins.

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Hey Michael,
I looked at this one a while.......as originally I was going to comment on the small sky hole being too bright!!!........then it started to grow on me......kind of like the light at the end of a tunnel and it really works well in the comp. You may want to try and color adjust adding some blues......it may bring out a little more of the details in the orange of the rocks.
Very well done,
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-08-2008, 12:22 PM
I like the composition and good point on the blue - I would have not thought of that. I would be interested Michael if you do that, repost it.

Michael Pancier
04-08-2008, 12:56 PM
here it is with some blue added ....

granted i'm using elements here at work, but it looks like a magenta boost

Roman Kurywczak
04-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Hi Michael,
Well.the blue brought out more detail.........but I liked your original warmth of the image! Took it into PS.......used Robert's USM on everything but the sky ....amount 20......radius 40........threshold 0. A little x-tra sharpening. Imo did what we wanted!
Let me know what you think,
Roman

Harold Davis
04-10-2008, 03:32 PM
what roman did brings out the WOW factor in this one. that is awesome!!

David Kennedy
04-10-2008, 11:11 PM
Michael,
My dad and I are headed out to Antelope later this month (we've never been and will have a couple days to go to both Upper and Lower Antelope). I've read before, and you stated it here, that the canyons can get quite narrow. Any advice for what sort of things to pack, and how to carry them, so as to avoid any unfortunate incidents? :)

Roman Kurywczak
04-11-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey David,
I can offer a couple before Michel replies. I have been there many times. I have used my backpack there but sometimes.as mine is large.......I had to remove it to get through some places. The most important thing with the slots IMO.....there is a very fine silt/dust that seems to constantly fall from the rim......try not to change lenses in there if at all possible......and sheild the camera with your body if you do. When not in use..........put it in the backpack. This is probably more for upper than lower....because of all the people going through upper......sometimes it is difficult to put a backpack down or wear it. Keeping it between tripod legs helps......but sometimes you have to pull them in cause it's narrow. Looking forward to seeing your shots,
Roman

Michael Pancier
04-11-2008, 09:24 AM
As Roman noted, in Lower Antelope, a backpack is more of a burden.

I simply wear my camera vest and carry in there spare lens; batteries, etc. then I have my camera/lens on tripod and that's what I carry in there. I try to avoid changing lenses there so stick to one lens. If you want to have multiple lenses, then a small camera bag to hold your second body is suggested.

I had the 5d with the 17-40L which was the perfect lens. My 40d had the 24-105L which I used for more abstract compositions. However, the bulk of all the shots were with the 17-40L.

I suggest you call Charlie at Overland Canyon Tours. Tell him you want a photo tour. He's an artist and will take you and guide you through Upper Antelope but he let's you do your thing. After Upper, you have to do lower on your own. Costs about $ 20 plus the Navajo fee which you already paid at when you signed up at Overland. Lower is much longer so you can spend a long time there. It does get really right so if you're with a backpack, it's a pain.

of course tripod and cable release are essential. I tend to shoot everything there at f/8 unless doing macros. Lighting is tricky there sometimes so I tended to AEB at 2Ev intervals for HDR and to pick and choose. I found on my 2 trips there that on my 5d a slight minus Ev compensation usually resulted in better images. That's all trial and error of course and depends on you're getting light beams in too.

If you have a fisheye, take it. My friend got some interesting shots there with one.

David Kennedy
04-11-2008, 12:21 PM
Sounds good! Thanks, Roman & Michael. I'll actually have a 16-35 II with me, care of CPS, that should arrive a day or so before I fly out to Arizona. My 17-40 is a real loser and I keep it only because it can autofocus and for photo-j work that's a necessity. For wide-angle I actually use an Olympus 21mm f/3.5 with an adapter and it produces a radically better image than my 17-40 at that focal length, so 'm hoping that the 16-35 can at least match its performance. We'll see.

I was hoping to avoid a bag entirely, and it sounds like I can do that. I have a Lowepro vest/belt setup and figured I could move my lens pouches around to maximize my ability to "squeeze" through the tighter spaces. I had planned on taking the 16-35, 24-70, and my 24 tilt & shift, but was also toying with the idea of carrying my 70-200. Would there be any need for that lens (the 70-200), or would I be better off just carrying a second water bottle? :D Thanks!

Roman Kurywczak
04-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Hey David,
IMO ditch the 70-200......never shot anything over (around) 40mm......you can get close if necessary...........bring the H2O.
Roman

Michael Pancier
04-11-2008, 12:53 PM
Sounds good! Thanks, Roman & Michael. I'll actually have a 16-35 II with me, care of CPS, that should arrive a day or so before I fly out to Arizona. My 17-40 is a real loser and I keep it only because it can autofocus and for photo-j work that's a necessity. For wide-angle I actually use an Olympus 21mm f/3.5 with an adapter and it produces a radically better image than my 17-40 at that focal length, so 'm hoping that the 16-35 can at least match its performance. We'll see.

I was hoping to avoid a bag entirely, and it sounds like I can do that. I have a Lowepro vest/belt setup and figured I could move my lens pouches around to maximize my ability to "squeeze" through the tighter spaces. I had planned on taking the 16-35, 24-70, and my 24 tilt & shift, but was also toying with the idea of carrying my 70-200. Would there be any need for that lens (the 70-200), or would I be better off just carrying a second water bottle? :D Thanks!

the 70-200 is not worth the weight. The 24-105L was useful to me because you will find compositions above you where you might want to get in tight for abstracts. Don't think you'll need the Tilt Shift lens in there unless you're taking multiple images and piecing them together.

Let me know how you like the 16-35ii. I considered buying one but it seemed to big and bulky. At least my 17-40L is a decent one so long as you're not shooting straight horizons.:cool:

W T Lloyd
04-11-2008, 02:00 PM
In tight places, and when shooting upward, the Angle Finder C is a HUGE asset. Worth getting if you don't have one before the trip. Remember that it has two different camera eyepiece adapters, don't leave the one you need at home....
Another thing...it's COLD in there, even if it's temperate outside. The ride in to Upper Antelope is a bit of a wild ride and long enough that you will get chilled from the wind (open pickup/jitney style). Be sure to layer up.

David Kennedy
04-11-2008, 03:33 PM
the 70-200 is not worth the weight. The 24-105L was useful to me because you will find compositions above you where you might want to get in tight for abstracts. Don't think you'll need the Tilt Shift lens in there unless you're taking multiple images and piecing them together.

Let me know how you like the 16-35ii. I considered buying one but it seemed to big and bulky. At least my 17-40L is a decent one so long as you're not shooting straight horizons.:cool:

I do like the t&s for the ability to make everything sharp without using a small aperture, and fortunately it doesn't take up much space. I only use the 70-200 f/4; I used to own the f/2.8 version and found it to be far too big and heavy, but still, it will be one less thing to haul down with me.
I am curious about the 16-35, but I am concerned that it requires 82mm filters. I'm not thrilled about that aspect of it, but if I like it enough and if it at least equals my little Oly 21mm, I'll sell the 17-40 and the Oly and buy one. We'll see...

In tight places, and when shooting upward, the Angle Finder C is a HUGE asset. Worth getting if you don't have one before the trip. Remember that it has two different camera eyepiece adapters, don't leave the one you need at home....
Another thing...it's COLD in there, even if it's temperate outside. The ride in to Upper Antelope is a bit of a wild ride and long enough that you will get chilled from the wind (open pickup/jitney style). Be sure to layer up.

Thanks for that--I had planned on packing my Polartech vest and you just confirmed that this is not a bad idea. I do own an angle finder and had planned on taking it along. It's a part of my landscape kit that I don't always use, but it's so small that it can go anywhere. I actually use the older Angle Finder B; it fits my 5D, it fit my old 10D and 20D, and it also fits my Mark II N. It does not have the "zoom" feature for more critical manual focus, but it cost me half the price on eBay so I've been a happy camper :)

Michael Pancier
04-11-2008, 03:40 PM

You know what, I wish I had an angle finder. without a doubt esp. when the tripod was low; and aimed upwards.....what a pain. Good Call.

With overland tours, they take you in a large Suburban. no exposure to the elements

W T Lloyd
04-14-2008, 11:43 AM
There are two angle finder C's up for sale right now on Fred Miranda's buy/sell board, $115 and $135 respectively. Just a FYI.