PDA

View Full Version : Common Black Hawk

Richard Unsworth
01-09-2012, 04:55 AM
:S3:

Captured close to Finca Loco Natural, Playa Negra, Puerto Viejo
Spent such a wonderful month there, and was pleased to get to know this Hawk who seemed to be around most days.
Getting a shot without sky and bright BGF whites, and clear of sticks across them! was not easy:eek3:

Someone was clearing a plot of land for building, and this created a margin between forest/open space, and making it possible to get this as the Hawk hunted for his favorite crab dinner.

NR using Topaz, sharpened with Topaz IF, exp OOC, 3 % burn brush to spot lighter spots.

7D, 100-400 IS, SS 1/100, ISO 400, Ev .33, Tripod used, F 5.6

Randy Stout
01-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Richard:

I like the foot up pose, exposure on the bird, and appreciate the challenges of getting a clean shot in that environment.

Was the original underexposed and needed to be brought up in post, hence the need for NR?

I might do another round of toning down the brighter leaves by the head.

Cheers

Randy

Stu Bowie
01-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Hi Richard, I like the attentive pose,and raised clenched foot. You have brought out the feather detail well enough, and understanding your location, Im fine with the busy BG. I dont know this species, so just a question, is there a blue cast on this fellow?

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Richard, pose and details are excellent. So is the shooting angle. I am afraid the composition does not work for me though. If you have room in orig, then my suggestion is to have the bird a little to the left and below in the frame.

Richard Unsworth
01-09-2012, 11:37 AM
:S3: Hi Stuart Blueness corrected by WB "daylight" vs "auto" intriguing, pretty much all my frames are "blued". I was aware and wondered what response I would get Randy - exposure was spot on IMO and not altered from the raw; however now reworked with NR to BG not burned down again around head as seemed better after adj. WB, though let me know what you think as it may need a bit more; changing WB affected all pic elements as one might expect. The frame is much more "life-like" now IMO

Recrop for Kaustubh, thanks

Kaustubh Deshpande
01-09-2012, 12:04 PM
like the repost, Richard.

Richard Unsworth
01-09-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks Kaustubh

:S3: