PDA

View Full Version : Mallards in the Swamp

Nonda Surratt
04-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Dawes Arboretum has a small cypress swamp, during the season they have night classes where folks can watch the salamanders cross. Interesting little swamp, but I've never seen it with ducks, a pair, and not spooked by folks walking around like the rest of the M's at the Arboretum.

With this image I wanted to show the enviro and try to use the light as it filtered thought the Bald Cypress. Image pretty much as made in camera, slight crop on the left and bottom.

MIII, 300 f2.8L @f4.5, ISO 400, 1/1000, -2/3

Thanks much for your time and critique.

Gus Cobos
04-08-2008, 09:51 AM
Hi Nonda,
Close but no cigar on this one, The Mallard in the background is on a different focal plane than the Drake, thus keeping it out of focus. Also the big beige prop of wood to the left of the background distracts attention to your subject, in addition the reed of grass touching the Drake on her bill should be cloned out...Next one will be better...:D

Gus Cobos
04-08-2008, 09:54 AM
P.S. Forgot, maybe if the Mallard was not too far from the female, even though they are not on the same focal plane it could have come into focus by using a smaller aperture instead of the one currently used...:)

Nonda Surratt
04-08-2008, 10:05 AM
Gus actually wanted the Drake not in focus, probably personal taste there:)

Alfred Forns
04-08-2008, 11:13 AM
I understand images like this are liked or disliked right away Just personal choice Personally I'm a big fan of these type and find this one very well done.

For the most part they have a second animal in sync with the first one. I like what you have done with the second duck placement If anything might want more room for him to look out to? The grass by the head is a bit distracting The female is in sweet light and looks just great Love the look and feel.

I find creating these enviro images more difficult and this one works for me !!!!

Gus for these type images even if you could stop down to f 64 there would not be enough dof to cover the second duck It is best to open up and blur as much as possible. Same rules a apply for these and its important to have the front bird in focus. They could always be an exception Fabs posted one with the front oof and the back in focus which worked !!!!

Nonda Surratt
04-08-2008, 12:12 PM
Big sigh of relief here, Thanks Alfred. Enviro images aren't for everyone, but I love making them, they are probably my favs, just getting them to work, my eye/ brain coordinated:) I really want to learn how to do this type of image well.

Your right the drake does need more room, didn't even notice till you mentioned it, and the bit of grass is actually duck slobber, can't see it here so I should have removed it.

Bruce Gove
04-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Nonda, I liked this one right away - sensed you were trying for environmental scene. The female is sharp as a tack. sun is just a little too far left. I like most everything about this image Nice job : )

Bruce

Nonda Surratt
04-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Bruce, good point! And if I would have moved a bit to the left I probably wouldn't have the drakes shadow on her butt and more room on the right for the drake.

Harold Davis
04-08-2008, 03:25 PM
i like it too, nonda. agree with al about adding a little bit of room to the right for the male to look into. was thinking of taking a little off the bottom too but i like the male's reflection. cool image!

Judd Patterson
04-09-2008, 01:35 AM
Nonda, very interesting work here and love the comments that have been posted. Personally I'm a huge fan of environmental portraits that artistically show both birds and habitats. For me this image comes close with the great cypress habitat and sweet light, but the overall image just doesn't quite grab me. I think it's partially related to the male being in shadow. If he had been lit up as well, I think you'd have a very strong image. Certainly not bad as is, but just some potential room for improvement in my eyes. Thanks a lot for posting and hope to see more (photograph those salamanders too!!)

Nonda Surratt
04-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks much Harold and Judd.

Judd this has the potential for a do-over so all advice is greatly appreciated!