PDA

View Full Version : Noise Reduction

Yves Matteau
04-08-2008, 06:51 AM
Sometimes, i do photograhy at high resolution especially in poor light conditions. Therefore, i use the noise reduction feature onto high on my Canon 40 D. My question: "Is it a good idea to leave it on all the time? Does it produce some bad effects? When do you think it is good to use this camera gadget?"
I need to know?

I need answer from the pros,

Yves

John Chardine
04-08-2008, 03:31 PM
Well, I'm not a pro but this issue has come up in the Yahoo 40D group. The main downside to keeping noise reduction ON is that it slows the camera down. If you "lay" on the shutter release you get a lot less than the rated 6.5 fps with this setting ON. Depending on what you are doing this cost could be significant. The 40D is I think the fastest body out there $-for-$, so with this setting ON you are losing a big feature of the body and you get into the realm of Nikon speeds. Just joking!!!!

Yves Matteau
04-08-2008, 03:48 PM
John, thank you for the answer....When i wrote "pro" i mean all the photographers that could help on BPN because i consider them like "pro".

Steve Ashton
04-08-2008, 04:42 PM
John is right leaving noise reduction on will slow down write seed and fill the buffer. I have also found a slight reduction of in image quality.

Doug West
04-08-2008, 09:42 PM
Hope you're a "pro" Steve, or you might get another snide remark for trying to help.

Doug

Yves Matteau
04-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Doug, i am sorry that you interpret my "pro" as an snide remark for everyone who want to help....What i wanted to say is that i consider every photographers on this site as "pro" compare to my own little experience. Hope that is clear!!!