PDA

View Full Version : Saying goodbye

Brendan Dozier
01-08-2012, 02:14 AM
My father passed away last friday after a long illness at the age of 81. Though he had his share of struggles, as we all do, he was a good man, and a good father. His quality of life had been on a steep decline and he was tired of all the discomfort, pills, and doctors. Fortunately, there was a hospice program available to make him as comfortable as possible and I was able to say goodbye to him during his last days and share some stories. Looking through some family pictures, I saw this one that I hadn't seen before. That's me with my pop and my brother on the left. The words are part of the lyrics from a song called "Down Here On The Ground" originally written by Lalo Schifrin. I had been listening to some old songs from my youth including George Benson's version of this song. Yeah a bit corny, I know, but it now has new meaning with my father passing away. He was ready to let go. Though it's hard and I'll miss him, there's a sweet sadness that I feel, and when I see the birds at the lake or beach, I kind of feel like we are watching them together.

Down Here On The Ground
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkJYfa02jt8

down here on the ground
ain't no place for living
down here on the ground
watching sparrows fly

I watch the birds
as they make their way
they're flying kind of free
and I wish it were me

down here on the ground
wanting something better
down here on the ground
wanting something more

one morning soon
you will find
I got wings on my mind
wings to take me high

so if you hear a sound
from down here on the ground
don't you know
my friend it's only me
it's only me trying to fly

Anita Bower
01-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Thank you for sharing.

Dennis Bishop
01-08-2012, 08:38 AM
A great tribute, Brendan. It says a lot.

Maureen Allen
01-08-2012, 09:47 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss, Brendan. The photo is special. And the words of the song are lovely and fitting. Take care of yourself.

denise ippolito
01-08-2012, 10:48 AM
Brendan, This is a lovely tribute to your father and his life. Thank you for sharing such an important part of your life with us all.

Nancy Bell
01-08-2012, 01:11 PM
May you find peace at this emotional time. Thank you for sharing such a lovely tribute to your dad. It certainly makes me think and reflect.

Indranil Sircar
01-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Brendan, it's a wonderful tribute. Memories are so precious... thanks for sharing.

Julie Kenward
01-21-2012, 06:52 PM
Brendan, I'm so sorry I didn't see this earlier. It is truly a beautiful tribute to your dad.

John Ippolito
02-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Brendan, it is a lovely tribute to a great father that helped make you the fine person you are today. Peace be with you and your family.

Grace Scalzo
02-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Brendan,
May good memories comfort you....you have created a wonderful tribute to your father.