PDA

View Full Version : New Canon camera body

Wendy Kates
01-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Hi all,

My Rebel Xsi has been malfunctioning, so I took it to the shop yesterday, and was told it would probably cost about $200 to repair it. I won't get the final estimate until this week sometime, but given that I paid about $550 for it, it doesn't seem worth repairing. Also I've bought a couple of L series lenses in the past 6-8 months, so I'm thinking that may be another good reason to upgrade. The question is...upgrade to what?

Since I just purchased the 70-200 f/4 lens last month, I'm not inclined to spend a huge amount. I've been thinking about a used 50D (there is one for sale at Adorama for $749, and the "used" rating is good...little or no wear), a new 60D or a D7. I've read a lot of posts on BPN that are leading me to rule out the 60D, but the D7 is getting pricey, especially compared to the used 50D. (Also, to be honest, I'm a little intimidated by all the "customizing" that seems necessary for the 7D, although I'm sure I could learn what needs to be done.)

I mainly do nature (birds/waterfowl, flowers, waterfalls, landscape) and urban photography.

Thanks.

Wendy

John Chardine
01-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Hi Wendy- You could go for the T3i which would give you an 18mp sensor like the 7D (maybe the same as the 7D?) and be somewhat similar to what you have now. B&H has them right now for $669. The xxD and xD series would be more rugged than this one. I would go with a recent body rather than the 50D, although I owned that one and liked it a lot (so did Artie I remember). The 60D would be a step-up in durability and speed from the T3i and also has the 18mp sensor.

Wendy Kates
01-08-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi John,

I've thought about the T3i as well. But since my last post, I've also thought that, assuming I can afford it, it might be worth buying the 7D, which I can "grow" into over the next few years.

Wendy

Rachel Hollander
01-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Wendy - you might want to try Canon's loyaltly upgrade program to see what it has available now and at what prices. Canon will take back any broken Canon camera and sell you another camera at a reduced price. What it has available varies but it is worth a call. You should be able to find more info by searching the net for "Canon Loyalty Program." I haven't used it since I haven't had a broken camera to trade-in but most people have positive experiences.

Andrew Merwin
01-08-2012, 03:32 PM
Wendy, you might also want to look at Canon's refurbished cameras.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/subCategory_10051_10051_-1_29252

Rachel Hollander
01-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Wendy and Andrew - I think with the Loyalty Program you do get refurbished cameras (or opened boxes) that have been checked by Canon and then with the program you get a discount off the refurbished prices (rumored to be about 20%).

Rachel

Wendy Kates
01-08-2012, 03:54 PM
Rachel and Andrew...thanks. I checked the Loyalty Program and you do, indeed, get a refurbished camera. Chime in if anyone has had a negative experience with a refurbished camera, but my understanding is that many of these are simply overstocks, or cameras that were delivered in damaged boxes. So this is really promising...I'll call tomorrow.

Wendy

Chris Brennan
01-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Wendy -

I have nothing but good things to say about Canon's Loyalty Program... I bought a 40D several years ago that way, and not only got a great deal but the camera was virtually brand new! And it continues to perfrom like a champ now quite a few years later. Based on the rest of the comments on this thread, I think it's perhaps your best option although buying a refurb direct from Canon is good too...